NEWZ: Potential LCD, CRT Display Killer Technology

GIANT

Learning Storage Performance
This could be the proverbial light at the end of the tunnel. Say hello to SED technology (Surface-conduction Electron-emitter Display).

• structure.gif

future.jpg

Commercialization of the 55"FHD is scheduled in the spring of 2006...

http://www3.toshiba.co.jp/ddc/eng/sed/index.htm

Stereodude

Not really a
Let us know when they're actually shipping. SED has been hyped and promised for a while, and we've yet to see a commercial product. They remind me of OLEDs.

GIANT

Stereodude said:
Let us know when they're actually shipping. SED has been hyped and promised for a while, and we've yet to see a commercial product. They remind me of OLEDs.

Since I keep getting reminded regularly about SED technology in the various tech journals -- more so in the last year -- I thought I'd fan the flames about it here at the StoFo.

• Acronym Key
  • SED = Surface-conduction Electron-emitter Display
  • StoFo = Storage Forum
  • ISDN = I Still Don't No
  • PCMCIA = People Can't Memorise Computer Industry Acronyms

GIANT

Forgot to mention that Canon is the other major half of SED technology. What you won't read here is that back in the shadows, Canon is being sued by NNPP (NanoProprietary, Inc.) for being jilted along the way in favour of Toshiba.

• 01_1.gif

display.gif

[list:50f23d4d7d] Since SEDs apply the same light emission theory as CRTs, they provide dynamic color expression, a sharp picture, and faster videoresponse than LCDs and plasma display panels (PDPs). In addition, SEDs do not require electronic beam deflection, making possible screens of more than 40 inches in size that are only several centimeters thick...
[/list:u:50f23d4d7d]

http://www.canon.com/technology/display/

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
Jesus that looks sweet. Not that I'd have the money to buy a new TV next year.

My concerns are:
1) response times
2) dead pixels
3) longevity
4) radiation

Can you speak to each of these?

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I'll take a stab at this one:

Will Rickards said:
My concerns are:
1) response times similar to CRT I would bet. ie: no ghosting
2) dead pixels again similar to CRT (very rare) with the adition of a possible dead emitter.
3) longevity Maybe better than CRT? No tube heaters to burn out? The phosphers will still age and become less bright though
4) radiation I am guessing it's much less as you don't have a huge gun and magnets in there anymore, but then again you now have thousands/millions of those little SCE's.

Can you speak to each of these?
[/b]

Gilbo

Storage is cool
I'm hoping to be able to resist purchasing new screens until SED computer displays start showing up. I find the grey blacks on LCD's unpleasant for video and troublesome for photo-editing.

I picked up two refurbished twenty-two inch Philips screens about a year and a half ago and I think they'll last me until something very impressive shows up.

Stereodude

Not really a
Gilbo said:
I'm hoping to be able to resist purchasing new screens until SED computer displays start showing up. I find the grey blacks on LCD's unpleasant for video and troublesome for photo-editing.

I picked up two refurbished twenty-two inch Philips screens about a year and a half ago and I think they'll last me until something very impressive shows up.
I'm pretty sure they're not going to make small ones. They talk about starting at 55".

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm pretty sure they'll make small ones - they'd be stupid not to. After skimming the market for expensive large screens, of course. All of LCD monitors' problems solved in one stroke. At the very least, those in the graphics business will make a nice market for them.

That's not to say that our very own esteemed Pradeep, Fushigi, et. al. won't be using one of the 55 inchers as a PC display device.

ddrueding

Fixture
mubs said:
That's not to say that our very own esteemed Pradeep, Fushigi, et. al. won't be using one of the 55 inchers as a PC display device.

Exactly what I was thinking. Who needs a 30" LCD when you can have a 55" SED? What kind of resolution are we talking? :roll:

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Because you'll be sitting too close to the thing, you'll need a cranial implant for ADPPVC (Additional Direct Processing by Primary Visual Cortex). Your eyes alone won't be able to handle it and will need to be supplanted by a cranial interconnect a la The Borg. This will also prevent you from getting "Tennis Neck", resulting from frequent turns of the head to the left and right. With the interconnect, you just stare straight ahead, and the interconnect feeds in the peripheral info., with the brain assembling the the three signals into a seamless whole. You only see the one b-i-g, complete picture. When you leave the computer, you just hot-unplug the connector and walk away. The implant has an automatic sliding door over the gold plated connections, making it waterproof. When you shower, you won't short your brain.

They've thought this through.

paugie

Storage is cool
I can't even buy a 14" LCD to take advantage of the savings in electrical consumption. Stuck with this 17" NEC Diamondtron. The wife's jumping up and down getting me to shut this PC down 'coz our electric bill is unaffordable.

I suppose this new technology is 2x or 3x the cost of LCDs. huh?