NIB Xeon 5570

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I have a new in box Xeon 5570 here. 2.93GHz Quad Core, Hyperthreaded. This is an SMP-able i7 CPU. I'm probably going to try to move it on Ebay but if anyone from SF wants it, I'll sell it for $100.
Yes, you need a workstation class board for it. They sell on Ebay for ~$100 - $200.

I thought I had an appropriate motherboard for it and I don't.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
I find it exceedingly difficult to sign the occasional check, even worse if I have to fill out a form. The keyboard has become the friend, the pen the enemy. One of these days, one of my checks will be dishonored because "signature does not match".

ddrueding

Fixture
I haven't manually written a check in a decade. I haven't even had a checkbook for 7+ years. Even if I am sending a friend some money I type the details into my bank's website and you get a check a couple days later. If you need it faster than that you better accept cash.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
I just want to say that the CPU is working flawlessly and I'm very happy I can finally put my one-and-a-half-years-old Gigabyte X58 board to good use. Together with the GTX 580 I grabbed two weeks ago, it gives me between 40K and 50K ppd running the FAH client.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I used to sign by hand about 200 times per week. :crap: Now it is about 20 hand signatures per week and around 70 e-sigs.

Mercutio

I'm just glad that chip found a good home. It would've been a damned shame for it to just sit around until I tossed it, something that's been known to happen from time to time with my random spare parts.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
Ok, now the UPS motherfuckers sent a 45$ invoice for processing the package through the border. They sent the invoice two weeks after the delivery has been made. This must be illegal. I'm pissed to no end after UPS. If they wanted to charge for processing the package, they just had to charge BEFORE delivering it. Don't send me an invoice after for something you never warned me about and that I therefore never agreed to.

I'm not pissed at Merc, in case it wan't abvious. He didn't know (or remembered) that the brown guys aren't brown for nothing.

Mercutio

I'm not sure how that is justifiable. It was a ground shipment. It wasn't delayed by customs. What did UPS do other than have it on their truck?

CougTek

Serial computer killer
No idea. I'll contest it. What is delicate is that the bastards charged my company instead of me because it was delivered there instead of my home address.

It is outrageous.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
This last Dec. I needed to ship a passport to someone stuck on Mexico. The border allowed the person into Mexico using the ID passport but wouldn't let her back in to the US without a full passport. So I needed the passport to be there quick.

I went to UPS and they admitted that the fastest they could get it there was 7 days. That was too slow, so I went to Fed-Ex and shipped it as a document One-day priority express for $75. After I shipped it, they scheduled it to deliver in 2 weeks and the person had to drive 400 miles to get to the Fed-Ex office that it was just sitting at. There was no customs delay. Oh was I pissed.

I called them and they said with international shipping everything is different and that I should have no expectations that one-day priority express should deliver in 1 day plus any customs delay. My argument was then they shouldn't call it one-day but rather two week priority express and one day was misrepresenting their service. I did get a refund however.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
Ok, so after a verification with the vice-president of the company, I'm fucked. Since the package was delivered at my company's address and that they have an account with UPS, my company was billed and not me. Someone at my company previously told UPS to process all package and border fees automatically in order to save time. So now, I don't owe UPS, I owe my company 45$.

There will be a payback and it's going to be ugly.

Stereodude

Not really a
I thought it was common knowledge to not use UPS for cross border shipments, and to only use the mail for this very reason.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Ok, so after a verification with the vice-president of the company, I'm fucked. Since the package was delivered at my company's address and that they have an account with UPS, my company was billed and not me. Someone at my company previously told UPS to process all package and border fees automatically in order to save time. So now, I don't owe UPS, I owe my company 45$.

There will be a payback and it's going to be ugly.

Are you allowed to receive personal shipments at work?

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
That sucks, Coug.

Anything that is not a letter / document will have problems of some kind or the other across borders. To assume it won't is plain wrong. Most of the times, the bloke at the shipper's local office won't even have shipped across borders, and will not have a clue as to what might happen. Merc's and Mark's experiences prove this. In such cases, call the shipper's head office or trans-border shipment department. These guys will tell you what to expect.

Generally, Blue Dart is considered the expert in international shipments because they've been doing it longer than anybody else and at much higher volumes.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
Just so anyone else here knows next time, the maximal value one can declare for a gift is 60$. Above that, the motherfuckers will charge all the taxes and border fees.

Since I'm now responsible for almost all orders in the company I work for, there will be no more shipment, ever, for as long as I work there, from or to UPS. I've informed a UPS representative about it too. They don't give a shit. This is how you lose customers. Bastards.

Mercutio

The UPS Bastards know that you'll be back sooner or later. I have similarly strong feelings about FedEx (which is why UPS was used to begin with), but sometimes I still can't avoid dealing with them.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Why are we blaming the shipping agency for following import / export tax laws?

Stereodude

Not really a
Why are we blaming the shipping agency for following import / export tax laws?
UPS charges quasi bogus brokerage fees for shipments between US and Canada. The fees are creations entirely of UPS's creation. They are not passing along costs inflicted on them by either the US or Canadian gov't.

ddrueding

Fixture
Whatever the market will bare -- Isn't that the general rule for all businesses ...

Yup. But there is a transparency issue here. You should be able to charge whatever you want, but you shouldn't be able to charge more after-the-fact. The only way they get away with it is calling it a fee.