Office suites other than LibreOffice / MS Office

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Since it's the best performing antivirus I've seen in the few AV testing web sites I've visited, I told one of my customers to buy G-Data for his five computers. But, as good as it is, G-Data has a major issue I wasn't aware of : it flags and automatically clean/quarantine/destroy a critical file for LibreOffice. Without it, LibrreOffice simply no longer starts. I have to keep G-Data since the customer paid for it. He would rather no pay for an office suite like Ms Office.

I know there are many other free office suites for Windows. What would you guys recommend?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Nope. I'd like a solution where I don't have to modify the AV. I shouldn't have to anyway, if the guys at G-Data had done their job properly. I mean, LibreOffice, probably the second biggest office suites in the World, being flagged as a virux. Kudos, great work champions.

ddrueding

Fixture
Nope. I'd like a solution where I don't have to modify the AV. I shouldn't have to anyway, if the guys at G-Data had done their job properly. I mean, LibreOffice, probably the second biggest office suites in the World, being flagged as a virux. Kudos, great work champions.

I completely agree. That might explain why I've never heard of G-Data. The other office suites I've heard of are all based on OpenOffice/LibreOffice, and will likely have the same issues. Unless you want to go the Google Apps route and use their word processor and spreadsheet stuff.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Coug, you have far too much faith in 'testing web sites' for your own good.

Surely this isn't the same false positive that was reported nearly a year ago?

Normally, I'd say report it to the publisher and a fix should be available fairly quickly, but I believe G Data is a 'multi-engine' product, meaning it uses other vendors' software to do the scanning. So there's no way to directly report the problem.

Because you personally recommended the purchase, I don't see any way out other than adding the file to the scanner's 'ignore' file masks.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
It seems to be performing a bit too well. Changing Office because the AV is borked is like the tail wagging the dog. Very strange. What will you do if next month it attacks another app?

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
To answer the original question, this wiki article has a nice list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_office_suites

However you can put together your own "Ofifce Suite" by using different applications,

eg Abiword or Lyx for document processing.
Gnumeric for spreadsheet.
Beamer for presentations. (latex based, can be used from Lyx).

But like the ofhers, just fix the AV to exclude LO.