Official recommendations thread

Handruin

Administrator
Please use this sticky thread to post your product recommendations so that we have a running list in one easy to find location.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I officially anti-recommend all things manufactured by Western Digital, AOL, nvidia, and all Windows software developed by Apple.

Had to get that one in early. :D

Mercutio

Also S*ny, which is called S*ny because its name is that which may be neither read nor spoken. S*ny products are made from the ground-up souls of child molesters and manufactured on Indian burial grounds.

Remember that when purchasing your next DVD-RW!

Mercutio

Well, the last two posts really hit it, but if you read my security articles, it's like this:

1. Never connect a Windows PC directly to the internet. Put a home router (at least) between your internet connection and Windows. Even a basic NAT setup is going to be a hindrance to internet worms and the like.

2. Use the Firewall built in to Windows. It's not perfect, especially since it has very limited control of outbound traffic, but that also means it doesn't harm PC performance and users can't permanently block something that's really important... which is something I've seen dozens of times.

More importantly, the Windows firewall means not having to fight with Firewall software over turning on things like Windows File and Printer sharing, or dealing with completely unfamiliar interfaces for finding where to even have that fight.

paugie

Storage is cool
hmmm, thanks. I understand that thing about the Windows firewall.
I will be reading up on that NAT setup thing
And I will read those security articles.

ddrueding

Fixture
The latest version of PartedMagic on Hiren's boot CD is amazing. It even has Firefox with the homepage set to Google search their support docs. Incredible.