Once upon a time, at a movie theater this weekend...

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I'm again dying of boredom. If someone is going to watch Once Upon A Time In Mexico this evening, please tell me if it worthes the price of the entry ticket. This isn't a movie I would usually be tempted to see, but the presence of Jonhy Depp among the cast tells it might be good. His last few movies were usually quite entertaining (especially Pirates Of The Caribeans and Sleepy Hollow).

I have absolutely nothing, and I do mean nophing, to do this evening. I'm in my off-day for my physical training and my budget doesn't allow me any expensive entertainment. Nothing interesting on TV. Plus, my bicycle is broken (not my temper this time) so no ride in the nature. I will probably try Mandrake 9.2 RC2 later this evening to witness once again that it fails to setup correctly my LAN connection, but I would rather do something else than play on my damn computers again. ...And I don't get along very well with people frequenting bars. The music they listen to...it's horrible :errr:

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Pop music or worst...rap, that they renamed hip hop. Sounds like a too old vinyl that skips. It's music for monkeys and it's often made by urban apes too (look how they move, can't argue they're apes). It's junk, it's, it's ... :puke-r:

Plus, what's the idea to wear a tuque when it's +20C or above outside?

There are bars where the music is more acceptable, but never close to most of what I usually listen to. It's not an environment where I'm at ease. Nowadays, these places are dominated by female behaviors. You have to be nice, smiling, gentle, friendly, sociable and entertaining. Buaaahhh!!! I have no trouble being entertaining, but my style of entertainment usually isn't appreciate. Good old brawls are less and less accepted these days. What's the fun of going out to a bar if you can't break somebody's nose peacefully?

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
I'm glad we don't have any bars like that around here. We also don't have the ones where people fight. We used to have a few of those, mostly cowboys or rednecks, but they've calmed down in the past decade or so. We also have some of those obnoxious sports bars, where 100 TVs are showing different sports events.

Handruin

Administrator
Ask away, I help anytime I can over at voxtreme's forum. Where do you want to start? If you have the idea, I can build you some examples.

e_dawg

Storage Freak
I saw it tonight. I thought it was good, but definitely not great. Apparently my friends who saw Desperado and El Mariachi said this was the worst of the El Mariachi trilogy. This has been a horrible summer for movies, though, so it's not like there are many other compelling movies to compete for your entertainment dollar.

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
Let me guess ... I'm the only one who went to see Freddy vs. Jason.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
i said:
Let me guess ... I'm the only one who went to see Freddy vs. Jason.
I saw it a couple of weeks ago. Pretty funny IMO. While I'm not a Freddy, Jason, or horror movie fan in general (my wife is), I though that for what it is it was entertaining.

.. And in typical horror movie fashion it's left open for a sequel.

(I have caught a little of Jason X on cable; that's a dumb movie.)

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Howell said:
Tought on the emotions.
haHA!

Now I know I'm not the only one having misery with the spelling of though, thought, tough. Why isn't it just spelled tuf instead? It would be less confusing.

BTW, I saw J vs F too. I knew it wouldn't be fabulous, but I needed entertainment that day, even a poor one. For the genre, it was very good. It's just that the genre itself usually is quite bad to start with. I wonder what the teenagers did to the directors of those movies.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I'm not much for horror films any more. I used to like them a lot, but that's before I looked old enough to rent pr0n (horror movies being the easy road to T&A). :)

I plan to see Cabin Fever when it comes out on DVD though.

Also, I'd really like to see "Lost in Translation", which is something a little bit more highbrow than the films thusfar discussed.

Howell, I thought Moulin Rouge was vapid. I know I absolutely missed the pop-song references but I also know that I've seen more entertaining performances from cops directing traffic. Watching that movie, the only thing that the Crow and Tom and Joel in my mind could come up with was "Oooh! Shiny!" Which is apparently all Luhrmann could come up with, too. Try "La Traviata" or "La Boheme" if you're really into consumptive female leads.

OTOH, a movie that I absolutely couldn't sit through for emotional reasons was "The Hours" (which, despite that, has a score that is absolutely sublime and can easily be found through filesharing services).

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
Mercutio said:
Also, I'd really like to see "Lost in Translation", which is something a little bit more highbrow than the films thusfar discussed.

I'd like to see that one too.

There is a Washington Post article about "Lost in Translation".

I loved Freddy vs. Jason. It fit my mood perfectly. I went to see it with exactly the right expectations - primarily just an expectation to be entertained in a cheezy way. It delievered 100%.

I also waited until I could get to a matinee. It would have been less fulfilling at full price.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Mercutio said:
Howell, I thought Moulin Rouge was vapid. I know I absolutely missed the pop-song references but I also know that I've seen more entertaining performances from cops directing traffic.

Recognizing which songs were pop hits sometime in the past is not important. Listening to the words and hearing the story the song is telling is. There is something very powerful that happens when words are sung as opposed to when the same words are spoken. You can hear the emotion much more clearly.

Make no mistake about it, half the reason I didn't want to watch any more was out of self pity. :( The other half was empathy for "Christian". And who knew Ewan MacGregor could sing!

Mercutio

Modern music production is such that any schmuck can be made to sound reasonably good. This is why Britanny Spears has a musical career. Otherwise she'd just be selling her body on the internet like thousands of other reasonably attractive 18 year olds.

Anyway, I found the music to be genuinely sub-par on any level. I thought perhaps there was some kind of parody value or something, that I missed for not being familiar with the original music.

Just to prove that Lurhmann wasn't a complete waste of an orgasm, though, I did enjoy his 1994 production of La Boheme.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Just watched the second series of 24 on DVD, good entertainment. Can't wait for the third series, definitely a cliffhanger as opposed to end of season 1.

And loving the commercial skipping capabilities of ReplayTV, makes watching a game of NFL reasonably interesting, once all the ads and slow bits are skipped over. Can be watched in a little over an hour. Live TV does indeed suck.

Go the Bills!

Mercutio

Yes. Some of us like stuff that's good. :)

The 2nd season of "Angel" just came out on DVD. I'm working through that, and when I'm done, I have the 3rd season of "Family Guy". And then a long wait before anything else that's good comes out (Shield season 2 maybe, or Sopranos season 4)

I have a directTV hook-up now, but I haven't even bothered to set it up. I don't think I'll bother until I can get a Tivo or something.

Primate

What is this storage?
If you have DirectTV, and are considering a Tivo type unit, I strongly suggest you look into DirectTivo.

They are duel tuner units, meaning as long as you have two connections into them you can record two things at once, watch something while it records something else, or watch something you've already recorded while it records two new programs.

The recordings stay digital as opposed to a regular Tivo unit, the DirectTivo is a DirectTV receiver/Tivo in one. A regular Tivo only accepts analog inputs so must hook it to a DirectTV receiver which turns the digital satellite signal into analog for the Tivo.

The DirectTivo units can often be found for cheaper than a SA (stand alone) Tivo.

DirectTivo units only cost $4.99 a month as opposed to $12.99 or whatever it is now for a standalone.
As far as I'm concerned, it's really a no brainer.

Mercutio

Is there a way to transfer the individual files off the tivo (direct or otherwise) and watch them elsewhere, without another encoding step?

Mercutio

Looks like the only way to get programs off a Tivo is to use a series 1 (legacy, no longer sold) unit. Looks like the only way to get support for digital audio is with a series 2 unit. Not an appealing compromise there. :(

Primate

What is this storage?
There are some hacks I think for Series2 SA, they're all unofficial and unsupported.
Not sure on the DirectTivo.
A good place to look around and find out is
www.tivocommunity.com