Opera v6.05

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Here's another annoying bug I often come accross when using Opera : http://www.rds.ca/ for instance. It's all in French, but the problem should be obvious anyway. Place the mouse cursor over the various sport names (baseball, football, tennis, etc) and see what happens. Intead of showing a nice defiling menu, it only display the names of the categories without any style. Gecko and IE don't have this problem.

I think AOpen's web site has the same problem under Opera.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Coug, for me Mozilla displays that page the same as Opera. The drop down menus only work with IE.

Initially I thought it was because I was using RC3, but I upgraded to 1.0 and there was no change.

Have you upgraded to 1.1 or something?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
No, I still use Moz 1.0. Try deleting your profile and create a new one. It solved many issues I had when upgrading Moz versions back in the 0.94-0.96 days.

I re-visited RDS.ca with Mozilla 1.0 and it doesn't display the menus at all (but it still is less annoying than the aweful listing Opera does). Here's the site of AOpen if you want to compare both. Again, Mozilla wins easily.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Coug, the Aopen site displays the same as well, except for slightly different spacing with the bullet points:

AopenMozilla.png

AopenOpera.png

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Well here, on my Win2K box, Opera add a vertical listing of all the "Global Sites, Home, Corporate", etc on the upper left corner. These are only text without any styling. It is a kind of rendering bug, but you don't seem to be affected.

Since one picture worthes a thousand word, I'll try to show you what I mean (and go begging Doug to let me store a few screen shots on the server...)

Handruin

Administrator
I haven't been following the thread, but it looks like a layers issue...

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Coug and E_Dawg:

Press [F12] (or select {File} {Quick Preferences}), and change the browser alias from 'Identify as MSIE 5.0' to 'Identify as Opera'.

This should improve your view of the product. :aok:

Sol

Storage is cool
I havn't ever really worried about what browser I'm using before. Netscape has been shocking from well before I had internet access at home so I've just always used IE.
But as times go by it has been bugging me more and more. Just little things, like that little arrow at the bottom of the favorites list. Every time I click favorites it shows a little bubble saying "Where have my favorites gone?" and explaining that it has hidden them to save space. So I click the button and it unhides the one favorite which didn't fit into the list, using exactly the same amount of space and just making me click another button.
So Opera hear I come.

e_dawg

Storage Freak
Sol, To disable that quirk which you dislike with the Favorites menu, simply go to Tools -> Internet Options -> Advanced tab -> Browsing section -> uncheck the "Enable Personalized Favorites Menu" (about 10 lines down from the start of that section).

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
Opera, the self-described "fastest browser on earth," has decided to jettison its legacy code in favor of something a little faster.

The Oslo, Norway-based company is on the verge of releasing a trial, or beta, version of Opera 7, which will resemble its predecessor
only in superficial ways. The rendering engine--the heart of the browser, which interprets code pulled down from Web servers--has
been rewritten from the ground up over the past 18 months.

Dubbed Project Presto, after the musical tempo-character marking indicating speed and lightness, the rewritten browser was
designed to make Opera both faster and more compatible with the Document Object Model (DOM), an emerging standard
technology that lets scripts, like JavaScript, act on individual elements of a Web page.

The Whole Story