Opinions on Google Chrome? APPS?

time

Storage? I am Storage!
It can't even do the basics:

• It's incapable of previewing the document I linked.
  • WTF can't it preview the same document once it's converted it?
  • Why is it so damn clunky, eg incapable of telling me I'm trying to upload a file I've already uploaded?

I didn't expect full compatibility, but it should at least be able to handle something that simple.

I also put the boot into Open Office, but it's nowhere near as bad as this, and Open Office doesn't have a fraction of the development resources that Google has.

ddrueding

Fixture
1. It previewed fine for me.
2. It previewed fine for me.
3. An excellent point, but that isn't really about the word processor? You can "Save As..." docs all day in Word without it telling you you've already done it.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
F**k me, now it works!

So it must have been a temporary glitch of some kind? I can't be certain that I tried rebooting the PC, but certainly it afflicted more than one browser over more than one day.

Well, that mollifies me quite a lot, as well as making me look stupid. Although I stand by the other 6 points I made, they are relatively trivial in comparison.

3. An excellent point, but that isn't really about the word processor? You can "Save As..." docs all day in Word without it telling you you've already done it.

Only if you save back to the existing file name. Once you specify a different name, Word checks to see if the file already exists and prompts you if it does.

At least, the version I have here on this particular day works like that ...

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Import.
If one is transitioning from Word to Gdocs one might want to import historical data. But Gdocs doesn't import the formatting very well. Particularly the kind of formatting you might find on a resume.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
You're not making any sense.

If you want to share your resume, just distill it to PDF, rather than try to export it to Google Documents? If the layout were unimportant, it'd just be a text file.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
That's because their software can only parse Word documents. And they want to reduce you to a few keywords in a database.

ddrueding

Fixture
Sorry, I took it out of context. I thought you meant that GDocs not opening PDFs as editable docs was a fault. It would be nice, but since Word can't, I don't consider it a fault.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
If you want to share your resume, just distill it to PDF, rather than try to export it to Google Documents? If the layout were unimportant, it'd just be a text file.

There is a nice feature of Gdocs that lets you collaborate on documents with other users (sharing) with minimal administration. This necessitates getting it into Gdocs in the first place. This is not a problem that PDF is able to solve. This is a conversion problem. The open document format may be helpful in the future.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
In non-design fields, just having your resume in a non-Word format is reason enough to reject it.
The problem I have is that my resume is never in Word. I distill it from InDesign to PDF for distribution.

I remember one guy insisted that PDF wasn't good enough; it had to be Word. I offered to take a screen shot of the PDF and paste it into a Word document for him. He took the PDF.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
There is a nice feature of Gdocs that lets you collaborate on documents with other users (sharing) with minimal administration. This necessitates getting it into Gdocs in the first place. This is not a problem that PDF is able to solve. This is a conversion problem. The open document format may be helpful in the future.
I have used Acrobat to collaborate on PDFs before.

The problem is that you're trying to use one tool to create and another to collaborate. You need to either go with Google or Microsoft, start to finish.