OTA TV

ddrueding

Fixture
I don't have cable or satellite, the internet treats me well.

However, my mother-in-law will be staying with us for a couple months, and I would like to get her some normal TV. AntennaWeb tells me that I have a number of channels available from two towers nearby (44 and 148 degrees, 10-12 miles away). What antenna(s) would you recommend? A single omni or a pair of directionals? I'd like to keep them in the attic above the TV, so the cable run will be minimal. Power is available if some kind of amp is required. Budget would be a couple hundred if required; an optimal signal would be ideal.

Thanks!

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Why not get basic cable for a few months? Usually they have a cheap intro offer, based on the assumption that you will not cancel.

ddrueding

Fixture
I am considering it, but the house is not currently wired for Coax. To maximize speed of the Cable Internet connection, my modem is in the attic next to the eve of the house where it enters from the pole, connected directly to the wire Comcast came off the pole with. No splitters, no splices, and about 2' of cable inside the house. That is as clean as I could make it. Putting a splitter up there wouldn't be that big a deal I suppose, just something I'd prefer to skip.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Isn't she Russian? I think Mama Mamoochka would be a lot happier if you'd get a satellite dish to watch free international channels. Some of them must be russian.

ddrueding

Fixture
I plan to, but she is also computer illiterate. That will take some time, and in the meantime I want her to have the familiar "channel up, channel down".

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
It's my understanding that with the OTA tv now all digital, you don't need a huge or expensive tv antennae. As close as you are, a pair of rabbit ears might work.
I've also read that HD is clearer on an OTA setup as it's not compressed at all, unlike cable or satellite.

ddrueding

Fixture
I have a little one sitting next to the TV, and the signal is spotty on some channels. I'd like to just get a beast of an omni- in the attic and call it good.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I have a little Terk powered indoor antenna. The only channels I can get are the PBS station with a tower that's just down the road in Gary, and a couple Spanish-language stations.

I decided it's not worth bothering with OTA TV.