Paint job on Antec AMG case

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
I put together a budget system for a friend last night (actually its intended for his sister's oldest son, but anyways) and used an Antec 2600AMG case. I had heard about people mentioning how easy the paint job gets scratched on some of the newer Antec cases (in particular, our very own Blake has warned about this occuring on the Overture and Minuet cases). Now I know through first hand experience how easy this is indeed accomplished.

After righting the completed case we discovered that, somehow, the right side panel had been blemished with a small (~half inch), thin, but noticeable scratch during the assembly process. The case was assembled on a kitchen counter at my friends place. The countertop is smooth and was cleaned prior to the system assembly. We were at a loss as to what could have caused the scratch (razor sharp microscopic toast granuales?).

Anyways, not a big deal (it is pretty small), but, nonetheless, a little disheartening that a brand new case could get marred so easily. My advice to those who are considering an Antec case that has one of these specialty paint jobs would be to make sure that you place a soft towel or blanket underneath the case while working on it....either that or avoid such Antec products in the first place.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
what I found so interesting myself is that my antec 3700AMB case had such a nice finish (apears very very durable) while some of these newer (and suposedly nicer) cases had such a poor finish.

I guess this is either poor quality control or Antec isn't putting as much attention into their paint as they used to.

ddrueding

Fixture
zx said:
My antec 1080AMG has many scratches on it, due to the many times I take it to a LAN party.

You haul a 1080AMG to LAN parties? You must be in great shape! I have a system based on a 1080AMG right here, must weigh over 50lbs...

Handruin

Administrator
I used to haul my SX1240 to LAN parties. Now I lug around my SX830.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Lugging my Inwin Q500 around is a real PITA. I usally have between 4-6 hard drives plus 2 optical drives. I'm guessing that it weighs somewhere around 60-70lbs when full.

10032.jpg

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
heh, I bought my shuttle X-PC for LAN parties... it has never been christenned ... it spent the 1st part of its life as a server, then went to my HTPC. There's no way I'm getting it out of the living room now..

The nice thing about the P160 case I'm using now is that it is a heck of alot lighter than the previous steel Antec 3700AMB. However, I would be afraid to take it to a party for fear the aluminum would dent.

Maybe I'll get a newer X-PC....

Handruin

Administrator
I had that same Inwin case. I gave it to my parents along with the PII 350 that was in it. That case is just as bad as my SX1240 to lug around...weighs a ton.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
CityK said:
... an Antec 2600AMG case...

My mistake, it was a 3700AMB case that we used.

blakerwry said:
what I found so interesting myself is that my antec 3700AMB case had such a nice finish (apears very very durable) while some of these newer (and suposedly nicer) cases had such a poor finish.

I guess this is either poor quality control or Antec isn't putting as much attention into their paint as they used to.
The finish on this case looks great too, but its durability is obviously questionable.

The other knock I would give against the case was the really cheap plastic door covering the exterior bays.

Out of curiousity, I checked on Antec's site to see if they offered little bottles of touch up paint for chips and scratches (just like what you can get for kitchen appliances). However, I didn't see anything.

zx

Learning Storage Performance
ddrueding said:
zx said:
My antec 1080AMG has many scratches on it, due to the many times I take it to a LAN party.

You haul a 1080AMG to LAN parties? You must be in great shape! I have a system based on a 1080AMG right here, must weigh over 50lbs...

I never said it was fun :p. Mine is full of hard drives so it's very heavy.