PC Gaming = World of Suck

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Am I the only person here not to have the slightest idea what Angry birds is? I've learned a few minutes ago that it's a game. Why so many people give a shit about it?

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I know it is A video game on the cell phone, that's about it. Birds are usually angry when nesting is disturbed or a predator is nearby.

Handruin

Administrator
Am I the only person here not to have the slightest idea what Angry birds is? I've learned a few minutes ago that it's a game. Why so many people give a shit about it?

It's addicting to many. I thought it was fun for a few minutes of game play but I was not addicted to it. I think you can also play it inside of Chrome for free if you want to try.

I hear they will be releasing a space version of it soon so if you want to be up to date on trends and news, here's your warning.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Don't worry my wife doesn't get it either... It's just another scorched earth clone, in which you fling birds into the air to knock down buildings to kill the pigs...

More properly speaking, both of them derive from a classic demonstration program that was often written in BASIC (and maybe other things before that), which allowed two guns or gorillas or tanks or slingshots with birds to choose an angle and velocity in an effort to hit the other gun, gorilla, tank or slingshot. I knew it as ARTILERY.BAS way back when.

Scorched Earth is unquestionably the height of the formula and really one of my all time favorite games. The wide variety of different environments and munitions plus variable levels of computer skill make it great fun.

I can only play Angry Birds for a few minutes at time before I get annoyed. Usually I launch the first bird and if it didn't go where I want I restart the level.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I'm half-dead from sleep deprivation and while waiting for a virus scan to finish on a computer I must deliver tomorrow to a customer, I've scored 1239 points at Mahjongg titans (the one that comes with Windows 7). I didn't know that it was possible to reach that score in that game. I feel I've achieved something special on a game without purpose. I'm the king of an insignificant game (they all are).

Now the game I want to play the most is to play dead with my bed.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm guessing that this next SimCity is going to screw over their loyal base of "casual" players, who, once again, won't have computers with enough horsepower.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Just because it's retarded doesn't mean that people will have the appropriate CPU and graphics....

ddrueding

Fixture
One of the things I liked about SimCity was the single-player nature of it. Just poke at it a little each evening without having to compete with kids who are on 24/7.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Many years ago I was pretty good in team fortress and using my space orb 360 I could circle strafe like mad and do rather well in the online games. Guess where I got my username.

Handruin

Administrator
I got excited to see a new sim city for a few seconds until I saw EA's name on it. I knew that Origin would be on the list somewhere and all the other EA-stupidity they put into games. This will be one I'll end up avoiding.

Handruin

Administrator
A couple games to mention that might appeal to some. First, I've been playing World Of Tanks recently. The game is actually free to play if you're ok taking your time to earn the experience. There are options to pay to increase the speed at which you unlock things and advance. As far as I can tell it's online only and I don't believe there is DRM. It is not through Steam for those would would typically oppose that distribution method.

As for the game play, so far it's a basic capture the flag style game. There is surprisingly a decent amount of strategy in the game. It takes a little getting used to the interface, but once you've played a few times, it begins to make sense. If anyone wants to try a platoon, let me know, but it works fine playing alone. I play with a couple other friends and chat on Vent to do some strategy...but for the most part I get my ass handed to me most times.

Second, the game is called The Dead Linger. It's currently a kickstarter project, but it looks promising. This will likely be a Steam-released game, so obviously those who don't partake, your loss. ;-) I gave money to the kickstarter to help fund it, even though they've reached their goal. I wanted all the other included items for helping to fund the game. I hope it ends up being a great game. Tentative release is this September.

ddrueding

Fixture
Just poking around, I noticed they've released an updated version of the first game I ever buried myself in (at least 2 years of summers in elementary school).

Harpoon

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Is Diablo three worth it? I have a couple of friends that are thinking about it. I don't even know what the games are about.

Handruin

Administrator
Even so, I've still enjoyed the two previous games in the past. I'm more interested in Torchlight 2 than Diablo III.

Mercutio

I don't like Steam. I don't like rights management software the restricts my ability to operate my computer or to play games I have purchased. Those two things by themselves remove probably 80% of my options for gaming, yet they have nothing to do with games themselves.

That is a distinct issue from Blizzard making games that aren't any fun.

Handruin

Administrator
No way, I had no idea you didn't like Steam. Says the guy who started a thread title PC Gaming = World of Suck. ;-) Some blizzard games are fun, but it's just a matter of opinion. You have distinct taste. You even like City of Heroes which was ok for a few hours to play, but you somehow found lots of enjoyment from the game where as I don't see why people even pay to play past the free trial.

There are a bunch of indie games out there that don't use steam. I'm even recently mentioned World of Tanks which has nothing to do with steam. In fact it's free to learn and play if you like strategy games. I've been addicted to it for the past few weeks and lately that's saying a lot because most games don't really hold my interest.

Mercutio

There are no other games like City of Heroes. Champions Online uses an open power selection process that effectively results in absolutely everyone making the same character (why make anything else when you can make a tank-mage?) and DCUO is first of all flawed for using DC intellectual property and secondly has a horrible case of consoleportitis. As someone who really wants to play a game where I get to make super-heroes, it's the only game in town. Paragon Studios has continually improved their product and it's only gotten more and more compelling since it was first released.

I do buy games from Gog.com. Really, I'm a huge fan of that service. I wish there were newer titles that I could get excited about (maybe Mechwarrior Online), but as it stands there really hasn't been a new PC game release that has interested me in years. It's not my fault that gaming is all about appeasing giant conglomerates and people who can't be bothered to work a keyboard these days.