Learning Storage Performance
Hi Everyone,

Heres my situation, I have a working computer:

Asus P5K Deluxe (intel P35 chipset)
Intel Q6600 processor
4 Gb ram (2 * 2Gb Corsair Dominator)
1 WD1500ADFD Raptor (boot) connected to Intel SATA as JBOD drive
2 WD2500YS connected to Intel SATA as RAID0
4 WD3200YS connected to Promise EX8350 in RAID5 (card in 2nd PCIe16x slot)

Radeon x300 graphics card in 1st PCIe16x slot.

The computer listed above works perfectly. I needed a graphics card for a low end PC so I pulled the x300 and installed a new Radeon HD2600Pro with 512Mb ram.

When I started the PC I get the initial POST screen but then the monitor goes black (but still getting signal) and the EX8350 gives its usual beep after checking all the drives have started but nothing else shows up.

If I hit delete to go into the bios on startup, the monitor goes black as before but after a few seconds eventually gets into the bios config. If I go to the boot options, none of the drives connected to the integrated Intel SATA controller are listed!

If I swap back to the x300 card, the computer runs fine again.

Any ideas on what might me causeing this and how I can fix it?

Cheers,
mangyDOG

CougTek

Serial computer killer
A Radeon HD 2600 uses up to 50W, probably three times as much as the X300. Are you sure the power supply is up to the task? That's 7 hard drives, a 105W CPU, a 50W graphic card, a PCI-E RAID controller and huge memory modules. That's quite a lot of stuff.

Other than power-related issues, I don't know. The HD 2600 Pro doesn't need the 6 pins power cable, so that cannot be the problem. Check your motherboard latest BIOS. I know some motherboards needed an update to play nice with some ATI cards.

mangyDOG

The PC is currently using a 600watt Enermax PSU which should be enough (i hope).

Motherboard has the latest Bios.

Cheers,
mangyDOG

ddrueding

Fixture
That definatly looks like a power situation to me. I recently had an Antec 550W power supply in my system, and after adding a few more drives, experienced exactly what you are describing. It would boot correctly every 4th or 5th try, and warm reboots worked most of the time. I upgraded to a Seasonic 700W and it's been working perfectly ever since.

mangyDOG

I tried the 2600pro in two other PCs and it worked fine.

I will disable 4 of the drives and the raid controller to see if it is a power issue.

cheers,
mangyDOG

mangyDOG

OK, I was begining to think it was a PSU overload problem but I managed to pause the PC during bootup and found the following error:

No enough space to copy PCI Option ROM [00:1F:02]

I have done a quick google and found a similar problem here:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=116801

but they did not find a solution other than to go back to an older graphics card.

Are there any other solutions that anyone knows of?

cheers
mangyDOG.

mangyDOG

Ok,

got it to boot sort of normally, had to disable in the bios the 2nd LAN port, the eSata controller & the firewire controller. However the display is now "flickering" (imagine an old 15" CRT monitor running at about 20Hz).

Looks like I may need to try a different graphics card. :-(

mangyDOG

Just an update,

Replaced the HD2600Pro card (512Mb ram) with a nvidia 8600gt with 256Mb ram and the computer is back to normal with all options in the bios turned on.

cheers,
mangyDOG