PCIe SSD

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
What is a decent choice in high performing, reliable PCIe SSDs that is around $1000? It needs to work in the 8x slot. Thanks.

LunarMist

PCI-e SSDs? $1000?

Does PCI-e offer greater bandwidth than SATA III, or what?

$1000 is the most I want to spend on this ancient computer at the moment.
The PCIe 2.x bus has a max of 500MB/sec., so an 8x card could reach 4GB/sec. minus some overhead. SATA 3 only reaches about 600 MB/sec. minus some overhead.

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
Whoaly crap. Das'a lotta data throughput. Would it be fair to say that it would be almost as fast as RAM? I never figured out quite how fast RAM was, its speed was always communicated in MHz, not MB(or GB)/sec.

LunarMist

Whoaly crap. Das'a lotta data throughput. Would it be fair to say that it would be almost as fast as RAM? I never figured out quite how fast RAM was, its speed was always communicated in MHz, not MB(or GB)/sec.

The fast ones are really quite pricey, being designed for servers. For a grand it would probably be an internal RAID card with containing a couple of SSD modules that produce 800 MB/sec. or thereabouts.

LunarMist

I'm not sure what an sSSD is, but some of the PCI-e SSD cards are bootable and some are not.

LunarMist

Not sure they're reliable, even still available, but the Mushkin Scorpion Deluxe 480GB and 960GB PCIe SSD sure are quite high performance. They are back-ordered everywhere I've look, but Antares Pro has the lowest prices (960GB model) and list them as "special order". As expected, they use a stripe of LSI SandForce controllers.

It looks like there are two mSATA cards on a RAID card. I'm concerned that the performance would not really be very good. I can;t find much on the way of reviews.
OWC has something similar, but it is for the Mac.

LunarMist

OK, is this better?

It looks like there are two mSATA cards on a RAID card. I'm concerned that the performance would not really be very good. I can;t find much on the way of reviews.
OWC has something similar, but it is for the Mac.