PDF editor?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
HI
I have a bunch of forms that are PDF's, and, I'd like to be able to use a computer to fill them out, rather then my horrible handwriting. Does anyone have a PDF program that allows you:

copy an original
then fill in the original, or edit it,
then save the copy, and print it?

Something that is NOT made by Adobe, or, Adobe at a cheap price?

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
I have Acrobat 8 and have been amazed at how primitive it is at working with existing PDFs. Maybe I just don't know how to use it.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Foxit PDF Editor is fairly inexpensive and works well.
Seriously, FoxIt is crap.

My complaint is that it doesn't work properly with security. Like, it can't open some secured files at all. PDF is an open standard now; there's no excuse for this.

The complaint of the people at Adobe who work on the open-file code for Acrobat is that, except for the simplest document, its output is garbage. There is special code to recognise and attempt to fix the errors.

If PDF forms are setup properly, they can be filled-in and saved by Reader. That's free.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I have Acrobat 8 and have been amazed at how primitive it is at working with existing PDFs. Maybe I just don't know how to use it.
What are you trying to do? Realise that PDF is a display format; you're supposed to edit your original document.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
My complaint is that it doesn't work properly with security. Like, it can't open some secured files at all.

I have never encountered a PDF file that Foxit could not open. I have found secured PDFs. Fortunately, I have other software for stripping that protection if need be.

For that matter, I think I've needed to do THAT a grand total of twice. But Foxit opened the protected files both times.

The complaint of the people at Adobe who work on the open-file code for Acrobat is that, except for the simplest document, its output is garbage. There is special code to recognise and attempt to fix the errors.

Given the choice to trust Adobe, which makes a program I now consider to be the second most likely vector for malware infection on Windows PCs, a company that's so unfriendly to its customers that even people who own legal copies of its software frequently pirate it anyway, and a company that is just as well known for stifling competition through acquisition as Microsoft is, I have a really hard time giving a rat's ass what they say about any topic whatsoever.

Foxit could be snorting cocaine off an altarboy's ass during high mass for all I care. It displays and edits PDF files just fine, and it keeps Adobe's shitty software off my Windows computers.

Last edited:

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I never thought of Mercutio as a happy person...

Now, that said,
Anyone tried:
Bluebeam PDF Revu Standard Edition?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Is there a program that allows you to click on an area of the PDF document, fill it in, and save it, quickly, easily without 8-10 clicks?

Thanks

GS

PS trying to fill out a PDF, print it, or save and email back.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
DD:
Tried AA 9.2 Pro. It pretty much sucks.

Not easy on this.

Thinking the best way to go on this is to print the documents, scan with Omni Form Filler, and fill them out.

See how it works.

GS

Mercutio

Why the hell would anyone fuck up their computer with Acrobat software? I don't understand it. It's like asking the Haitian bisexual hemophiliac IV drug addict if he'll take off the condom before he gives you the good time you just paid for.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Why the hell would anyone fuck up their computer with Acrobat software? I don't understand it. It's like asking the Haitian bisexual hemophiliac IV drug addict if he'll take off the condom before he gives you the good time you just paid for.

Great thing about having the server with 7 Ultimate. I can try stuff on it, and, if it screws the pooch, I can, and have reinstalled the OS.

Do not want to do this on the beast. Odd as it may seem, those old Xeons keep working, and, keep being plenty for this kind of work.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
You have to reinstall for one app? :eek: Never use Ghost or True Image? I try all sorts of things and restore images on average at least 5 times per week.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Or do it in a VM and take a snapshot prior to installing said application. Then restore your snapshot.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I guess. Using a restore point is an easy fix, without leaving junk in the registry...

time

Storage? I am Storage!
At the risk of upsetting Sechs ...

Greg, stop mucking about and install Foxit Reader 4.1.1. It not only has a typewriter tool like Acrobat (select tool, click to start typing, drag to align), but the form detection seems pretty good to me.

Just be aware when installing Foxit, that you only want the free components and you probably don't want to install the Ask toolbar/ad portal addons etc.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Thanks Sechs. Worked just fine. Haven't mucked around to really look for features, just installed it.

Mercutio

NitroPDF is really nice. It has a nicer UI than Foxit and doesn't install crap. One of my clients has a site license for it.

Since the UI for Nitro looks like Office 2007, the fact that it's better than Foxit might say something about how retarded Foxit has gotten.

Either way it's still better than Adobe.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Foxit lifted their game a lot with version 5-5.1 (they badly needed to). It's still the fastest and uses by far the least memory. I haven't tried their authoring tool though (PDF Creator has been flawless for me - you just need to sidestep the 3rd party crapware in the installation).