Phenom B2 stepping hits 2.8GHz.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
That's what I read on a French site. I have no idea if the source is reliable or not. If true, AMD is in business. A 2.8GHz Phenom X4 will beat anything Intel will be able to push to the market until the end of the year. The timing will be crucial for AMD though. Phenom has to ship not too long after Peryn arrives and in large quantities. If AMD is able to do this and the Radeon 2600 is as good as the rumor says it is, then maybe the Sunyvale-based company won't go tits up at the end of the year.

ddrueding

Fixture
I hope not, the best Fry's Electronics store is a block away from their headquarters; I suspect it's quality and inventory is partly a result of AMD's presence.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
If AMD is able to do this and the Radeon 2600 is as good as the rumor says it is, then maybe the Sunyvale-based company won't go tits up at the end of the year.
I don't know who started the rumor I heard, but if I see him, I'll punch him in the face. The lower-end ATI cards manage to be even worse than those of Nvidia and that's no small feat.

Stereodude

Not really a
I don't know who started the rumor I heard, but if I see him, I'll punch him in the face. The lower-end ATI cards manage to be even worse than those of Nvidia and that's no small feat.
I'm not sure why you're surprised by this development... I told you so :p

Or is my word not worth anything? :(

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Or is my word not worth anything? :(
In the computer forum, your word has some value. But for unreleased products, it isn't about your word but only about who/what you read. It's not like you had an X2600 in your hands to test yourself. In this case, your source was more accurate than mine, but that isn't always the case.

For unreleased products, the only one I tend to trust blindly is the Jocker of eleven smiles. The old baboon knows some high-perched monkeys who can clearly see the future beyond the sight of us ground walkers.