Photo Printer Recommendation

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Hi Guys-

I have a laser MFP to do most of my normal printing. I want to get a color printer to print off photos (up to 5"x7" but the option for bigger prints would be great to have). Occasionally, I will also want to use it to print off color documents.

Any recommendations? Is Ink Jet the way to go? I can't find a lot of good info on the web.

THanks,
C

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Photo printers are the spawn of satan. Avoid HP. Avoid Lexmark. Take it to Walgreens. Take it to Kinkos. Enjoy it on a screen.

ddrueding

Fixture
I played with a Cannon Inkjet the other day and it wasn't bad, but if you have a Walgreens/Kinkos/whatever nearby, I think that is the better solution.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
Walgreens and a few others allow you to submit your photos online and pick up in the store. That is what I do. I think it is just too expensive to keep a photo printer.

I've also used ofoto.com (now kodak gallery).

But if you really want one, I'd look at those new kodak printers because the ink is cheaper.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Good idea guys. CVS, Walgreens and SamsClub all have good prices and accept pictures online. I think I'll go that route. I'll just have to see which ones offer decent online editing etc.

e_dawg

Storage Freak
I thought there was a thread on this already somewhere... anyways, my HP Colour LaserJet 1600 is a fantastic all-around printer. It does B&W and colour text and graphics very well, and does colour photos surprisingly well. In fact, probably as good as any laser printer I've seen, and as good as crappy 4-colour inkjets.

But, if you want true photo quality, you'll need a 6-colour inkjet, and my favourite (and most pro/semi-pro photographers too) is Epson. I have the Stylus Photo R1800 (wide-carriage), which is kind of a midrange model based on the Ultrachrome pigment inks. Above that, there's also the more professional SPR2400, which has the UltraChrome K3 ink set that is much better for grayscale. Below it, the more mainstream SP 1400, based on the Claria dye ink set.

But no matter what printer you go with, you'll want to have a monitor calibration utility and work in a colour managed workflow, and for inkjets use high quality paper that comes with printer and settings specific profiles (the manufacturer's paper and profiles are the easiest way to do it).

Barring that, sure, you can print at your local photo lab or online service. The quality and production control is not as good, but if you're not into the whole colour management thing, then it's probably easier that way.