I like to cook

• I've never tried

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I only know how to thaw

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
The majority of my meals are scrambled eggs on a bagel with ham and cheese. Does that count as cooking?

I can also cook frozen pizza and hot dogs. But I don't think that counts much.

-Tim

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
I cook because I have to, living alone. I enjoy eating what I have cooked, but prefer to cook things fast. Nothing worse than slaving for 2 hours over a stove, only to eat it all in 10 mins!

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
I can cook a few simple things-spaghetti with sauce, BLTs, cinnamon toast, hot dogs(I don't think that counts), anything frozen, and probably a few more things that I don't remember. I don't dislike the cooking part too much, but rather the cleanup part, so I don't cook very often. Fortunately, I don't live alone, so I don't have to cook all the time. Given the large variety of good-tasting take out food available locally(real food, not junk fast food), more often than not nobody in my household cooks.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I like making Italian food. People act like it's something special but most of it is really, really easy to make. Basic stuff like Chili is always good, too. Anyone can make chili.

I'm trying to teach myself to make a few Chinese dishes but nothing ever turns out the way I want it. I even screw up fried rice. But I make decent noodles. Go figure.

Mitch, don't you live in a place where outdoor grilling is possible year-round?

Tim, learn to cook. It impresses the hell out of women. ;)

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Yep, I've watched my mom prepare many Italian dishes, and most are really easy to make. Some, such as lasagna, may require many steps and take a while, but no special skills are required. Of course, you have all the pots and pans at the end...

I love Chinese food myself, but I think the art there is in the chopping and especially in the timing. The whole point of this style of cooking is to cook fast with a minimum of fuel, so a good Chinese cook times everything by seconds. If I were to personally try to learn to cook Chinese, I think it would take quite a bit of trial and error before things started to turn out edible. Anyway, thanks to my moderate carpal tunnel, certain repetitive motions like chopping will leave me in pain the next day, so learning to cook Chinese will probably be out for now.

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
Taking it out of the Freezer is Thawing right? I think so. That's all I know. :eek:

mitch808

What is this storage?
Website
www.speakeasy.net
Mercutio said:
Mitch, don't you live in a place where outdoor grilling is possible year-round?

Well I used to live in Hawaii, born and raised... Sure we could BBQ all we wanted to. Now in Seattle WA it's a different story. We get about 4 months of sunshine and the rest of the time it's overcast and drizzle. But I just throw the BBQ in the closet on my deck(I live in an apartment) and cook inside that.... With the door open of course so I don't die of smoke inhalation. But now that I have my George Foreman grill, I don't really need to cook outdoors too much. But nothing beats Charcoal and lighter fluid all over your food... :)

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
What I hate about cooking is

a) waiting for it to cook
b) clearing up afterwards with a full stomach... I just want to relax.

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
NRG = mc² said:

Ditto... actually b is a real pain in the ass!

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
NRG = mc² said:

What's cleaning up?

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
Never mind, I think I figured it out. It's like changing diapers isn't it? You set the kid in the corner and turn the garden hose on him right? Works great.

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
I can make superb omlettes, oatmeal and steak but since I live alone I don't actually cook that much.

As for clean up, I usually just leave the dishes and pans on the counter for a week. It's like magic. By the end of week all the big bits are gone and they only need rinsing.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
I voted yes, but it all depends on the context.

I despise cooking for one! Left to myself, I grab takeaway, open a can, microwave something pre-packaged, or just eat toast with honey and vegemite.

But cooking for two or more, that's a different matter entirely! I love to do that.

Mercutio

Hm. I started doing dishes when I was five. Now I think it's relaxing. Mindless activity. Turn up the stereo in the kitchen and just do it.

Tannin, vegemite is the most horrible thing I've ever eaten, and I've had Kim Chee.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Mercutio said:
Hm. I started doing dishes when I was five. Now I think it's relaxing. Mindless activity. Turn up the stereo in the kitchen and just do it.

Tannin, vegemite is the most horrible thing I've ever eaten, and I've had Kim Chee.

What did she taste like? And are there any pics? :eek:

Mercutio

Salty?

(I don't know how that space got there. It's supposed to be KimChee)
Erm, KimChee is a sort of combination of fermented cabbages, peppers and radishes, spiked with various hot spices and bits of fish.
Koreans like to make the stuff, then bury it in the ground for a few months while it ferments.

It's disgusting, but it'll clear up a stuffy nose.

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
I've often heard of vegemite yet don't really know what it is. Anyone care to explain?

Mercutio

My very own recipie for Marinara (which I made tonight).
I'm very proud of it. You can put it on anything and it keeps very well in the freezer.

1 large can diced tomatos
1 can tomato puree - in the US, only Contadina makes this
3 fresh basil leaves
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 Yellow onion
a largish pinch of red chili flakes
2 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil (olive, not canola or whatever)
1 cup of water
salt, pepper, oregano to taste
chopped, fresh italian parsley.

In a medium saucepan over a medium heat, heat olive oil. Add garlic and onions, and saute basically until everything is brown. Add the chili flakes to the mix and cook for another minute or two, then add in the tomato products and water.

This mix should simmer over medium heat for an hour or more. It needs to be stirred frequently, so you should probably find something else to do in the kitchen. Do not cover the pan, if it spatters, turn down or remove it from the heat - the goal is to reduce the water out of the sauce.
When you're just about done cooking, add your salt, pepper, oregano, basil and parsley.

Mushrooms, peppers, well-drained sausage or ground meat can be added as well.

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
argghh... don't post such tasty info... its 4:00am and the fridge is empty.

Oh well, once more I think I'll have to eat my clothes again :wink:

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
NRG = mc² said:
argghh... don't post such tasty info... its 4:00am and the fridge is empty.

Oh well, once more I think I'll have to eat my clothes again :wink:

Eat your shoes, but only if they are leather. People have survived from shoe leather before.

I ordered Chinese food tonight. So much better than what I would have made.

-Tim

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
I have never used a recipe in my life. Just constitutionally unable to do it. I'm the same with music: hand me a page of sheet music and I can't play it. Hum a few bars and tell me "just improvise in the key of F" and I'm fine.

Mostly, I cook what we know as "a tomatoey thing". This nearly always starts with onions fried in olive oil and butter - the secret is to fry them hot so you get that beautiful camelisation taste. Then add ... almost anything: particularly olives, garlic, capsicum, fish, eggplant, most any sort of fresh vegetable, parsley, herbs ... whatever seems like a good idea at the time. And always, home-grown tomatoes, fresh or frozen. Little grape-sized ones are the best, but they take forever to pick.

Serve with pasta if you like, but rice is better. Never made two the same yet.

I cook lots of other stuff, but this is my favourite.

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
Eat your shoes, but only if they are leather

Yes they are - big fat Caterpillar boots. Could live for days off them, I think. Size 49 (whatever... big!)

Vlad The Impaler

Learning Storage Performance
Cooking just get in the way of eating. I don't like cooking because I always want to eat what I am cooking before it is ready. Talk about torture!!

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I cook because my wife's cooking sucks. She is great at baking but, otherwise, I'd rather handle it.

C

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Since I don't recall ever seeing this thread, I'll revive it. :D

Yes, I like to cook. I had a few friends over the other day and made Bratwurst, skewered chicken breast, and rice (the bread just needed reheating, was a baguette from the bakery).

I made the rice in one of my usual ways: One cup basmati rice, two cups water, and a chicken bullion. Heat up some Canola oil in a pan, sprinkle in a liberal pinch of chile pepper flakes for 20 seconds (let's the flakes fry up real fast and spreads the pepper flavor through out the oil) and then add one chopped medium sweet onion. Toss and cook until onion bits become translucent but not caramelized, soft and no longer crispy, then add the finished rice. Toss and serve.

The chicken was new for me . . . well, actually not the chicken but the marinade. Marinade started with a base of yellow mustard and vinegar. Added Canola oil and sage honey to taste and texture. Added a 1/8 cup of paprika, liberally sprinkled in some nutmeg, cinnamon and cracked pepper. Cleaned chicken breasts and tenders, cut into smallish strips for easy skewering. Let marinade for two days. Skewered day of the BBQ. Turned out good, although I’ll probably use less cinnamon next time, and depending on the guests, I might add curry and cumin, maybe even extra turmeric.

Bratwurst was simple, just boil for 20 minutes and then BBQ when the time is right.

The beer was good too; I went through a Theakston Old Peculiar, a Samuel Smith Taddy Porter and a Samuel Smith Imperial Stout. The Old Peculiar was probably best with the food since it is flavorful but smooth, dark but not bitter; whereas the other two are slightly bitter, and followed by a slight smoky flavor. They would probably go better with a heavier dish, like a beef chili or pork roast. However, if the chili were super spicy then a good IPA would be best.