I like to cook

• I've never tried

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I only know how to thaw

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ddrueding

Fixture
Pot Roast braising with vegetables and a London Broil in the oven...I got a deli meat slicer for Christmas, and want some good meat ;)

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I have a very large number of hot dog buns sitting in my office.

Where they came from is shrouded in mystery, but there are a lot of them. And they aren't cheapie store-brand hot dog buns - they're an upscale brand.
And I have eight loaves of them.

I know that I cannot possibly eat 80 hot dogs before some of them go stale. But I like hot dogs and things that normally go on hot dog buns in general, and it seems like an interesting challenge to refine all my gustatory experiences for the next week and a half to the singular shape and portability of the form.

Mercutio

So you are seeing the consumption of 80 hot dogs as a personal challenge? I probably only average 2 or 3 a day.

Well, 80 hot dog BUNS.
I don't think I want or need to eat 80 hot dogs.

But I don't exactly know what else I am going to do with them. I am open to suggestions.

I bought some extra fancy things to try: Apple-chicken sausages filled with gouda cheese and the like.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Double bag some of them in plastic bags and put them in the freezer.
Maybe a dozen in a bag and then those bags inside a larger bag. Make sure the insde bag is as air tight as you can get it.

Donate some to womens shelter you were working at?

Bozo :joker:

Mercutio

Well, no room in the freezer (apartment size, about 2/3rds the size I used to have) and the women's shelter already has a hook up on bread and milk

Also, that thing in udaman's post scares the hell out of me.

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
Well, no room in the freezer (apartment size, about 2/3rds the size I used to have) and the women's shelter already has a hook up on bread and milk

Also, that thing in udaman's post scares the hell out of me.
  1. LOL, Merc, do you know what goes into those 'dogs'? That would make you throw up. In the pic (do a search on Insalata Caprese, classic southern Italian dish), you only have olive oil (what you think it's cat pee?) drizzled over slices of mozerella cheese, on top of slices of heirloom tomatoes. A little salt and pepper, with slivers of sweet basil on top. Damn what a bunch of whussies you guys are, it tastes great!
That reminds me (we'll let's not start a gross out thread on food, cause then we'd have to go into Apocolips (not misspelled ;) ) Chow-probably not safe for work either, even though it's not really 'sex'???) about bird's nest soup. Eddie Lin is married (huh, some poor woman actually married this guy???), kind of whack to put it mildly (a quote from link above "No penis envy here. And I’m totally not trying to be a dick. It’s only my opinion." Hmm, that Megan McCormick over there in the side bar, as part of the team for PBS series Globe Trekker's, more my style of whacky:eek:wneddnce: Be sure to check out the
"Archives Notorious"

Link to the side ;).

My mother grew up in Hawaii, long ago, in the Chinese neighborhood of Diamond Head. A delicacy known as 'bird's nest soup' (I don't know how you'd write it in English pronunciation of the Chinese words). Back then it was a favorite Cantonese luxury item up there with shark fin's soup & abalone soup. And it was a laborious preparation of one days worth of pork & chicken stock, mixed in with that stock was flour to thicken it a little, some dried egg whites that float in a pretty patter in the soup, some small shreds of quality crab meat, and a small amount of thin slivers of 'bird's nest'. That was the old preparation, it was a comfort food hot soup. Now days, here in the USA and China (Hong Kong) the generations have changed the fashion such that when you ask for bird's nest soup, it is usually for rich people, and they use a good amount of the bird's nest mixed into a cold coconut desert soup concoction!!!

I asked this fluent in English (she went to HS in England & was going to university here in LA area) Chinese college student working part-time in a restaurant if the restaurant she was working in did a good bird's nest soup. She looked at me with confusion, did not understand what I was referring to. Only after I told her it was expensive, did she utter the Chinese name for it, and she told me that growing up her mother would make it for her back in HK. But she did not really like the taste of it, as it was the desert prepartion. She told me it's supposed to be good for the complexion/skin, but that she looked at me with disgust when she asked if I knew what the bird's nest is made of? When she learned that it was made from the bird saliva exuded by a certain species of swallow, she was grossed out by that.

Same thing happened when I was at a Chinese area, HK seafood restaurant on the eastside of town, and I asked the young female assistant manager if that restaurant did the 'old-fashioned' style Cantonese bird's nest soup. She had now idea what I was talking about, being in her early 20's; she too thought it was a cold desert soup. And likewise, she made the 'eeeew' look on her face saying she was also disgusted by what it is made of. Honestly it is like shark fin, very mild, and just adds a little something extra to the complexity of the soup. Yet she too was grossed out by what it was made from...what's the matter with modern day Chinese women they're sending over here, damn it!?!? There all a bunch of friggin whussy pansy arse sissies, no backbone, no character.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Hot Dog Bun:

1) Meatballs, cheese and marinara sauce.
2) Butterfly and french toast.
3) Dip in egg then crushed rice crispies/sugar, deep fry, add three scoops of favorite icecream.
4) Let it go stale, cut into 1/2 cubes, lightly sprinkle with olive oil and italian seasoning (garlic, basil, oregano, salt, pepper, etc.), toast in oven at 225F until golden brown and crispy - croutons.
5) Cut length-wise, spread with generous helpings of butter and garlic, slightly drizzle with olive oil, bake at 225F - garlic bread.
6) Shove in car's tailpipes and watch drivers go nuts when their car stalls.

ddrueding

Fixture
Does anyone have a good recipe for Sweet and Sour Pork? I'm going to be gathering some from the 'net, but if anyone has a favorite, I would be interested.

I've been going out to Chinese at least twice a week for a month now, can't seem to get enough of the stuff.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Does anyone have a good recipe for Sweet and Sour Pork? I'm going to be gathering some from the 'net, but if anyone has a favorite, I would be interested.

I've been going out to Chinese at least twice a week for a month now, can't seem to get enough of the stuff.

I generally cheat with Sweet and Sour Pork, and use a pre-bottled mix from Kan-Tong. However one trick is to use Pork Spare Ribs, and leave the fat on. If you use a lean pork fillet, the pork tends to dry out too much.

ddrueding

Fixture
I have a fondness for foods that can be cooked, cooled, and eaten in about the same time frame.

Example: Warm up the pan, start making quesadillas, continue to cook, cool and eat until full.

ddrueding

Fixture
Of course, some part of me thought that I was better at flipping things out of the pan than I actually am, so now I have a nice grease burn/blister right on the end of my primary mouse-finger.

Mercutio

Have we had a discussion on how to make a proper pot of chili? We should do that, because it is 1 degree F out today where I am and chili sounds good.

ddrueding

Fixture
Yup. It rained like crazy here, though it never got below 55F. I don't recall any chili conversations, though I am interested in trying out any suggestions.

Mercutio

I use...
1 or 2 cans kidney beans
1 can "spicy" chili beans
1 can black beans or sometime no-fat refried beans
1 can of corn, drained
2 cans of stewed tomatoes
1 big onion, chopped fine
1 big green pepper, chopped fine
Half a jar or so of jalepenos, or a couple fresh ones chopped fine
A good quantity of hot sauce (um.. 4 tsp. Dave's temporary insanity, say)
1 tsp or so minced garlic
4 tsp chili powder
2 tsp ground black pepper
2 tsp red pepper flakes
2 tsp cinnamon
cilantro if I have any

I've done different things with meat. Usually about a pound of cooked hamburger (lean, drained). Sometimes I use small bits of stew meat or flank steak if I can find it (not often).

I cook it on low in a crock pot all day. I might serve it on pasta or with some rice or maybe corn bread. I add a little grated cheese and fresh chopped onion on top though.

Gilbo

Storage is cool
I love Chili. In university my roommates would steal it, so I started tossing a couple extra habanero peppers in to keep them away. Some people found the stuff caustic; I loved it and ate it nearly everyday.

I ate it so frequently though, that I developed a sensitivity to spicy food. I love it, but I can't stomach it. So now I have to make boring, not spicy, chili. :(

ddrueding

Fixture
Sounds good Merc, though I will be reducing the spice by a factor of 10 or so. I'll also probably throw in some flank steak that I've marinated in tequila and lime juice and seared on the grill. (That is my favorite topping for pizza, BTW).