Poll: How much data do you take care of?

How much data do you administer?

• <10GB

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10-500GB

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • 500GB-3TB

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • 3TB+

Votes: 11 57.9%

• Total voters

ddrueding

Fixture
How much data are you the caretaker of? Before the backups and drive redundancy, including home and work, not including empty capacity.

ddrueding

Fixture
I only have 10TB at home, and another 4TB at work. I know that we are outliers, I just wanted to see how many of the more normal users are pushing beyond the capabilities of a single hard drive. I currently have a couple companies and three home users who require more than one drive to keep a single copy of their data.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
It's pretty obvious that Handruin wins the cake here. Fushigi and Gary take care of a lot of data, but I don't think they approach what Doug and his team take care of.

On a personal-data-only level, Merc sure his the sickess of us.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
Home:
I'm have tons of pictures that I took but still am under 500GB in space for that and all my other personal data. I'm not sure I'll come close to exceeding 1TB in the near future. So I just have a 64GB SSD, a 1TB drive and a 1TB backup drive.

Work:
I'm just responsible for my laptop which has a 500GB drive in it and about 250GB used.
In 10 years of working here my projects folder is only 16GB.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Everything I have at home, including operating systems and their backups, would fit on a 750Gb hard drive.

At work, 8-10GB per day. Some of the data is deleted after 1 year, some after 5 years, and some we have to keep for 35 years. We are looking to build a 20TB storage solution to hold 1 years worth of consolidated data.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Unique data for me is what's on my hard drive. I have a combination of pictures I've taken, documents (Excel, MSWord), PC board CAD files, downloaded files of all sorts (images, news articles, data sheets, trainsim stuff, etc.), and my OS/apps. It still fits on my 200 GB boot drive, barely, but I'm also using NTFS compression, so I'd say about 250 GB of data. Compared to most of the others here, I'm a novice.

Of course, should I ever seriously get into video, I can see myself needing many terabytes.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Music collection is about 1 TB.
Pictures are maybe 150 GB
Home videos are about 150 GB.
Assorted other files are 100 GB.

I suspect this is pretty typical for a family PC.

Not sure how much we use at work, and I'm not responsible for it anyway, but I know we had 12 TB of storage delivered the other day as we were running low - amazingly, only took one email to get that. It's nice being on the right side of bureaucratic from time to time.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Oh, forgot, the HTPC, which houses about 1.5 TB of stored shows, but we could probably pare that down to 0.5 TB if we really wanted to.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
75GB in Pictures
152GB Music
110GB Video
13GB of other documents etc.

350GB Total

Just my home stuff.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I'm not responsible for taking care of any data. :bsmurf:

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm responsible for gigs of data everyday but it is ephemeral. The only data I routinely interact with is viewed with sh run.

Handruin

Administrator
It's pretty obvious that Handruin wins the cake here. Fushigi and Gary take care of a lot of data, but I don't think they approach what Doug and his team take care of.

On a personal-data-only level, Merc sure his the sickess of us.

On a personal level, I have nothing like Merc or probably many of you. I'm managing maybe 5-6TB of data for my personal stuff.

At work is much more difficult to give an estimate. I would hazard a guess that I manage 20+ TB of actual consumed data (not counting for redundancy and backups), but the tricky part is we've moved more towards a thin-disk model and the consumption of space only grows as needed even if the OS reports a specific fixed size. We often have 50-100GB provisioned virtual systems, but in reality they may only consume 25GB right now. So if I were to answer ddrueding poll and include free space, it would be considerably more space. The interesting part is that when you have an array with 96, 2TB drives, 15 600GB (15K RPM drives), and 15 400GB (15K RPM drives) there is more maintenance that needs to be done when occasional drives fail over time. The array has about 200 TB of RAW space and is used primarily for our VM farm. We have other arrays in the team used for testing with more raw space than that. The array I manage is all block based via fibre channel. I don't directly manage those, my other coworker manages those.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Most of my stuff fits on a single 500GB external HDD I use for a backup.

Approx:
50GB of music (ripped from CD in FLAC).
60GB of home videos. (SD format)
80GB of picture (most still in RAW)
40GB of emails, documents, etc.
110GB of misc data (ISOs of OSes, Applications, etc).
Total: ~340GB

I was planning on buying an external 1TB to replace the 500GB, but with the recent events, I've put this off...

Handruin

Administrator
Steam games: 140GB
ISO, Apps, dev, web, general files: 160GB
Video (home & DVD): 210GB
Pictures (RAW/jpeg): 875GB
Audio (FLAC & mp3): 275 GB
VMs: 90 GB

Total: 1.75TB

NAS content (music, movies, pictures): ~3TB

Total between both: ~4.75TB

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I feel fat. In two weeks I can accumulate 700GB of RAW files. :)