question Printer - Scanner

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
My cheap printer/scanner/fax died today. Now I need on the type that prints and scans, not necessarily faxes. Essentially it needs to print on both sides and scan from a feeder. My usage is limited to a few pages a week. For reference the XL inks were 1/2-1/3 full in the printer that died after ~22 months of use. What can I get for ~$200 that includes decent inks. Thanks.

LunarMist

I'd rather have colors, but are the cheap laser units much more reliable?

Stereodude

Not really a
I have a Brother duplexing networked laser printer. So far so good. We had one of their MFC lasers at my last job. It was problem free for the 3.5 years I worked there.

LunarMist

I have sworn off all inkjet printers for all purposes. Laser+duplex will be tricky in that price range. Do you need color? I'm assuming you have a pretty decent photo printer already.

The base-level monochrome HP is $250. Under that, I don't have much experience.

The purpose of this device is to quickly and easily print on plain paper for boarding passes, tables/lists, internet pages, etc. I don't want to have to take the cover off of the 17" inkjet photo printer every time, not to mention that it uses some ink from the 8x $50 cartridges when starting up.

Stereodude

Not really a
Seems like a monochrome laser would be a better choice for that sort of thing. No ink cartridges to clog, dry out, etc.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
For color, I doubt you could beat Canon MF8050Cn, half-price for $250. This is a tank (>30kg!) that should last forever; only thing missing I can see is a duplexer.

There's heaps of B&W solutions around $150; I'd pick whichever brand makes it easiest and quickest to capture a scan.

The Samsung SCX-4623FW has WiFi, which could be useful when trying to find somewhere to put it.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I don't think you can discuss awful printers without mentioning Lexmark. I've had generally positive experiences with Samsung printers other than some difficulty sourcing toner cartridges.

Brother has been my first choice for a while, though I normally try to convince businesses to look at leasing a copier instead.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Although I've had good experiences with Samsung myself, in general, they don't make this kind of devices the way that they used to.

I'd suggest getting a relatively cheap mono laser and a sheet-fed scanner. If you're making a lot of copies, either get a real copier or go to the local print place, instead.

LunarMist

I have been too busy to deal with the printer. The defective one is a Lexmark. I'll see what they have at the stores on Saturday. Shipping i

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Shipping is $10. ;)

For the Canon I linked to. It's color, it's a laser so it will be trouble-free, and the specs say it can do a color page scan in 6 seconds. In my country, it sells for triple that price and more.

If you want a printer that will be ready to print despite leaving it for weeks at a time, you need a laser. Apart from the smallest models, laser printers also have a paper drawer, so there's no need for a dust cover either.

Samsung printers are not robust, but neither is anything else in the budget market. I have one here that cost $270 and has completed 14,000 pages so far. The only problem I've had is with third-party toner cartridges. I really don't think it matters for the low use that Lunar has in mind - I'd be more averse to HP thanks to their invasive software.

LunarMist

I don't what trucnated my posts. Shipping has been a disaster for a few weeks now. Apparently the UPS has changed routes and the delivery time makes it practically impossible to receive packages or get them at the stations. :porc:

Some of the devices are far too large for the under table space. :(