printing on the upward facing side of the paper ?

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Anybody know of a particular printer that will print on the upward facing side of the paper as it sits in the tray?

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
Uhh ... any printer that has a duplexer installed?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Samsungs 550 does that. It spits the paper out, retracts it, and prints on the otherside.

FANTASTIC VALUE...

SO FAR, FLAWLESS...

gs

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I considered using a duplexer unit. How would you tell the printer to print on only the front without padding the print job with blank even or odd pages.

I have numbered preprinted forms that I need to print on.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Printer software has a setting for printing on one side, or duplexing. Up to you.

gs

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
Howell, I know I must be missing something here, because I really want to reply, "or you could just turn the paper over in the tray," but I know I'm just not seeing the whole picture here. What is it about these forms that make it impossible to simply reorient them, as opposed to having the printer do all the tricks for you?

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
i said:
Howell, I know I must be missing something here, because I really want to reply, "or you could just turn the paper over in the tray," but I know I'm just not seeing the whole picture here. What is it about these forms that make it impossible to simply reorient them, as opposed to having the printer do all the tricks for you?

Take some pieces of paper and label them 1-5 and stack them face up 1-5 to simulate how the forms come from the box. Now put them into the tray face down. The first page of the print job will come out on the last numbered piece of paper.

Well I could just restack the forms so that the first numbered paper is on top. So I'll restack 1300+ (and growing) sheets every week. I guess we could hire a temp to do it.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Howell said:
i said:

Take some pieces of paper and label them 1-5 and stack them face up 1-5 to simulate how the forms come from the box. Now put them into the tray face down. The first page of the print job will come out on the last numbered piece of paper.

Well I could just restack the forms so that the first numbered paper is on top. So I'll restack 1300+ (and growing) sheets every week. I guess we could hire a temp to do it.

The last number in the range is finite but unknown.
I'm working on an intermediate solution of determining the last number in the range and printing in reverse order. At least that is less manually intensive than restacking the paper.

For what its worth we currently have a Kyocera-Mita printer that prints on the top side but it has major issues with PS print jobs.

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
Howell said:

Ouch.

If it's PostScript you're using, a Linux box with a home-brewed Ruby script and Ghostscript might do the job. Not exactly an out-of-the-box solution though. :(

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
This may seem an odd solution; why not have the printing press that makes these forms print the number in reverse order or pack them in the cartons in reverse order? It may be a lot easier for them to do than we think.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Howell said:
For what its worth we currently have a Kyocera-Mita printer that prints on the top side but it has major issues with PS print jobs.
Are you using an up-to-date driver? Does the printer have enough RAM to properly support PS?

I don't know what tricks your print jobs are pulling, but basic PS support can be considered a given with any large printer manufacturer. If all else fails, I'd hassle the manufacturer directly - Kyocera has a good history of continuous improvement in their drivers.

Otherwise, you'd have to use the 'direct' path on a modern printer, which has limited capacity - if it exists at all.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
mubs said:
This may seem an odd solution; why not have the printing press that makes these forms print the number in reverse order or pack them in the cartons in reverse order? It may be a lot easier for them to do than we think.

This is a definite possibility but I have a large number of forms I can't justify throwing away.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
time said:
Howell said:
Are you using an up-to-date driver? Does the printer have enough RAM to properly support PS?

I don't know what tricks your print jobs are pulling, but basic PS support can be considered a given with any large printer manufacturer. If all else fails, I'd hassle the manufacturer directly - Kyocera has a good history of continuous improvement in their drivers.

Otherwise, you'd have to use the 'direct' path on a modern printer, which has limited capacity - if it exists at all.

I am using the most up-to-date driver available (4/05) and the printer has 256MB ram. The print jobs are actually very simple. According to the local service guy, this driver update specifily addresses issues printing "Adobe files". I took this to mean PS.

We did not have these problems until we were forced to change from PCL to PS.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Pradeep said:
sechs said:
Last I checked, reversing the print order fixes this problem....

Howell said "The last number in the range is finite but unknown."

That's silly. Maybe it's difficult to know, but it cannot be unknowable!

ddrueding

Fixture
sechs said:
Pradeep said:
sechs said:
Last I checked, reversing the print order fixes this problem....

Howell said "The last number in the range is finite but unknown."

That's silly. Maybe it's difficult to know, but it cannot be unknowable!

It can be unknowable at the start of the job, if data is still being compiled...

I'd suggest getting forms that don't have the number on them, then print the number as you print the page.