Quantum 10GB IDE... curious development

tazwegion

Learning Storage Performance
Yeah I tend to use up all my old drives before purchasing new replacements (eco-friendly and all that), currently my dual (drive) boot system is reporting in Fedora than this drive (with only 1.7 years of uptime) has too many bad sectors and is failing the reallocated sector & current pending sector count.

Windows XPpro (SP3) boots and is oblivious to the situation, even a disk check from the DOS command line reveals nothing proclaiming 0 bad sectors...

It's only the Windows drive and I rarely use it but considering the distinct variances of HDD reporting how long could I imagine this drive to keep on chugging along?

tazwegion

Holy moly, that is an oldie. :colors:

At least it had a UDMA100 transfer rate, it's likely successor is a Samsung SV0842D is even slower & there's a Western Digital 4.3Gb (WD14300) floating around here somewhere too my other 10Gb drives are spoken for LOL :lol:

time

Storage? I am Storage!
It's the rate of change that is significant. If all the bad blocks appeared in one hit, but none since, the drive may stumble on for some time. If more are appearing every day, you're playing Russian Roulette.

tazwegion

Howell said:
The patient is bleeding out on the table.

Ah well it's been euthanised now...

picture912.jpg

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Awesome, the IT gods should appreciate that much more than the traditional chicken.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Oh what a shame!

I was about to say that I don't have a U Series 5, or (surprisingly) a V9100, and to say to send me the pair of them (working or not, but unopened and intact) and I'd send you good quality working drives by return.

tazwegion

Awesome, the IT gods should appreciate that much more than the traditional chicken.

Yeah... I sure hope so, I was running low on chickens to sacrifice...

LunarMist said:
What caused the flames?
ddrueding said:
Most likely lighter fluid, but line voltage would be cooler.

Sorry no line voltage, accelerant and a BBQ lighter...

Oh what a shame!

I was about to say that I don't have a U Series 5, or (surprisingly) a V9100, and to say to send me the pair of them (working or not, but unopened and intact) and I'd send you good quality working drives by return.

Oh (Mea culpa), I didn't realise anybody collected old (and defunct) HDD's I just use them up till they fail, the Samsung is a spinpoint but it's not a v9100, if you truly need some ancient HDD's I'll have a dig through my stash and see what turns up but I'd imagine they'd mostly be sub-2G/UDMA33 ;)

It would appear the sacrifice was in vein, the Spin-point too has an issue with the reallocated sector count, but it doesn't appear fatal at this point ;)

spinpointhdd.jpg

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Samsung SV0842D is a V9100 according to my sources. See here: http://redhill.net.au/d/99.php The photograph on that page, unfortunately, is a scam - that's a V4300.

I didn't realise anybody collected old (and defunct) HDD's I just use them up till they fail, the Samsung is a spinpoint but it's not a v9100, if you truly need some ancient HDD's I'll have a dig through my stash and see what turns up but I'd imagine they'd mostly be sub-2G/UDMA33 ;)

Hell yeah! The older the better. I'll have examples of most of them already, I imagine, but there is always the chance of a nice surpise. :)

Some things that would be particularly welcome include:
  • * Miniscribe 3650
  • Anything else in MFM or of that general vintage
  • IBM Deskstar 75GXP
  • IBM Deskstar 5 - DHEA-34330 or DHEA-36480
  • * IBM Deskstar 8 - DHEA-38451
  • IBM Deskstar 22GXP - DJNA-371800, DJNA-372200
  • IBM Deskstar 34GXP - DPTA-372050, DPTA-373420
  • Samsung V6800 - SV0682D, SV1023D, SV1364D, SV1705D, SV2046D
  • Western Digital AC13200, AC26400, or AC310000
  • WD Expert - AC29100, AC313500, AC418000,
  • WD Expert 2 - AC315300, AC320400, AC427200
  • Quantum Fireball Plus KA
  • Quantum Fireball LCT 15
  • Quantum Fireball LCT 20
  • Anything weird or that you never heard of.
  • Anything else interesting!

I'll pay cash money for the two marked with a * if in good condition (not much, but enough to get you a few beers), and for the others, find some good working drives of more recent vintage to swap you.

I have ~800 drives in my collection, including ~340 individual models from 20 or 30 different manufacturers. I don't much care if they work or not, so long as they have not been opened. Good visual condition is a bonus.

I don't know of anyone else who collects old hard drives, though there must be a few others. There is some extraordinary history and even more extrordinary engineering in hard drives, and like steam trains and sailing ships, before too long there won't be any more - it will all be boring solid state. I suppose rotating magnetic storage has about 10 years left, give or take.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
I'm pretty sure I've got 10GB ST-310211A floating around, as well as some Connor of unknown size. Might have a 34GXP, though could be a 60. It's 30GB anyhoo. Interested in a Fireball SE or ST? Fujitsu 10GB? Meh, I'll see what I've got floating around Tony. Give me until the weekend though

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Cool! Thanks Bill!

I have a Fujitsu MPD3108AT and a MPE3102AT (both 10GB drives) some 60GXPs, about 6 or 8 Fireballs ST and SE (those were the great Fireballs, when Quantum led the world) and 31 different Conner models - though "different" is a strange word to use with Conner, 'cause the buggers used different model numbers for different customers. E.g., the CP341 was for Compaq OEM sale, the CP342 was identical but went into other brands. Making it still more confusing, they had a philosophy of doing short production runs and making small, incremental changes. I suppose most manufacturers made between 1 and maybe 3 different 40MB IDE drives, for example, but Conner must have made about 20!

But what are you doing with a Conner? Seagate bought them out in ... er ... 1995, with the largest Conner Peripherals drive being (I think) the 1.6GB Cabo - dreadful damn things they were too. Made a Bigfoot look fast.

On the Seagate U Series drives, for some unknown reason, I have any number of the U Series 4, 8, 10, and 6 (these range from 4GB to 80GB), but no U5, U7, or U9 (these range from 10GB to 160GB). We probably didn't sell many of those (well, none except fort the U5) but it's odd that I never pulled one out of an old box. It's a bit hard to care much about the ugly damn things, but it would be nice to have at least one of each.

See what you can find an let me know. ;)

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
I have a quite a few old HD's including multiple of some on your list. I didn't start accumulating them till after HD's got in the multiple GB's so all of my really interesting ones are now lost forever. For example, I at one time had one of these IBM 2315 Disk Storage.

Currently the oldest drive I have is a c-514 manufactured by Otan Electric Co. At some point I opened it, just to see the insides of a HD, and at some other point the top armature was bent slightly. It is a nice display piece and fun to play with. It is an MFM full height, two platter, four head design. I have no idea any more how big it was.

Unfortunately, I don't think I'm particularly interested in shipping internationally. Sorry.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Your drive is a 10MB unit. International shipping is too much of a pain; I agree.

I'd never heard of Otari Electric, BingBangBop, until you mentioned that drive. Apparently Otari Electric bought Disctron, which itself was formed from a merger between RMS and Data Peripherals, and then sold the business again fairly promptly. At a guess, that would be early 1980s. Not much later than, oh, maybe 83 or 84 - using 4 heads to get 10MB went out quite early.

tazwegion

Tannin said:
Samsung SV0842D is a V9100 according to my sources. See here: http://redhill.net.au/d/99.php The photograph on that page, unfortunately, is a scam - that's a V4300.

Ah... so it is, details on the older drives can be a little less forthcoming with a google search ;)

See what you can find an let me know. ;)

Seems like that was one of my last 10Gb drives, I forget what I have when I have a SWMBO inspired purge, anyway of what I found the following are available if you want them (once I've transferred any files I want to keep)...

• Fujitsu MPD3034AT Revision A (currently a small in USB-HDD box)
  • Conner CP30254
  • Western Digital WD14300

I also have a 100% working 4.3Gb Fireball SE SE43A014 Revision 01-B currently chugging along in a distributed computing system (didn't need a huge footprint for that), additionally whilst rummaging around I uncovered another rubber "sleeve" from a U5 (I had picked them up as a pair a the swap meet years ago) which unfortunately confirms that drives fate as well :(

I say you don't collect old VGA cards too do you? I've got a Genoa (Tseng chipset) 1Mb ISA bus card that'll never see use again...

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com

Hell yeah! The older the better. I'll have examples of most of them already, I imagine, but there is always the chance of a nice surpise. :)

Some things that would be particularly welcome include:
  • * Miniscribe 3650
  • Anything else in MFM or of that general vintage
  • IBM Deskstar 75GXP
  • IBM Deskstar 5 - DHEA-34330 or DHEA-36480
  • * IBM Deskstar 8 - DHEA-38451
  • IBM Deskstar 22GXP - DJNA-371800, DJNA-372200
  • IBM Deskstar 34GXP - DPTA-372050, DPTA-373420
  • Samsung V6800 - SV0682D, SV1023D, SV1364D, SV1705D, SV2046D
  • Western Digital AC13200, AC26400, or AC310000
  • WD Expert - AC29100, AC313500, AC418000,
  • WD Expert 2 - AC315300, AC320400, AC427200
  • Quantum Fireball Plus KA
  • Quantum Fireball LCT 15
  • Quantum Fireball LCT 20
  • Anything weird or that you never heard of.
  • Anything else interesting!

I'll pay cash money for the two marked with a * if in good condition (not much, but enough to get you a few beers), and for the others, find some good working drives of more recent vintage to swap you.

I have ~800 drives in my collection, including ~340 individual models from 20 or 30 different manufacturers. I don't much care if they work or not, so long as they have not been opened. Good visual condition is a bonus.

I don't know of anyone else who collects old hard drives, though there must be a few others. There is some extraordinary history and even more extrordinary engineering in hard drives, and like steam trains and sailing ships, before too long there won't be any more - it will all be boring solid state. I suppose rotating magnetic storage has about 10 years left, give or take.

I just pulled a bunch of old drives out of the dungeon if you're interested in any of these...

Also, I think I just through away a Quantum Fireball LCT 15... we've had a bunch around the office if I remember correctly, I might be able to scrounge one or two up. I also have a completely unlabelled drive that is only identifiable by a Quantum logo on a chip on the PCB...

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Hey, the LCT 15 was still on top!

I think I've seen some WD experts and an LCT 20 around as well. Unfortunately, I don't have any more micropolis or quantum bigfoot drives that I know of.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Found 2 more Micropolis drives in storage... these are full height 68 pin SCSI. Most of the other drives are 50 pin SCSI with some IDE and an 80 pin hot swap SCSI quantum.

Those Barraccudas with the PCB on the top and bottom of the drive (pictured earlier) and the IBM are full height as well - if you couldn't tell.

I also have a Seagate Hawk (already pictured), a Seagate Medalist, and a U series with the Sea Bra (not pictured). They've stuck with the cheetah and barracuda so long I had forgotten Seagate had so many older lines.