Quiet server build

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Just to be sure that I understand well, you've ordered both the dual LGA2011 server AND the 2100$ octo-core Atom server?

ddrueding

Fixture
Nope, cancelled the Xeon and I'm going to experiment with the Atom box. Do some load testing and familiarize myself with Hyper-V. Even if it doesn't go to production, I've put off learning MS' Virtualization product too long.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
And besides, we're only talking about 2 grands. Pfff! Like nothing.

Just install Hyper-V server. Give the server a name and an IP address. Then setup all the rest on another computer through µsoft Remote Server Administration Tools and with the Hyper-V manager that is installable for free on any Windows 8.1 Pro system (in the add/remote Windows features).

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
A machine like that will find a home regardless of how long dd borrows it for his own purpose. I run across places where I wish I had even a spare i3 or even a Core 2 Quad machine probably weekly, and I can think of at least a couple of my customers who probably should migrate off their old Server 2003 machines any day now. I suspect it's the same in dd's world.

ddrueding

Fixture
A machine like that will find a home regardless of how long dd borrows it for his own purpose. I run across places where I wish I had even a spare i3 or even a Core 2 Quad machine probably weekly, and I can think of at least a couple of my customers who probably should migrate off their old Server 2003 machines any day now. I suspect it's the same in dd's world.

Quite so. Whenever I'm done with it I'll sell it at that point for something that isn't a loss. Several machines a week pass through my office; it is only a matter of time before someone's needs match that machine.

ddrueding

Fixture
I was afraid of no POST on the board. Swapped RAM, PSU, disconnected everything. Finally gave up and came over here to type in a complaint to ASROCK when it came up. At least 3 minutes to display initialization with only 8GB of RAM in there.

Also a design complaint. I know that compromises have to be made, but thinking that having an "ID" button is more important than having only 2 USB ports is a poor choice. And 6 fan headers but only two USB headers (none 3.0)? I'm sure this was build to spec for a particular customer, but how massive a datacenter would you need before these choices make sense?

ddrueding

Fixture
I see it, I read your words, I still do not understand its use for it seems pointless.

For arrays of rackmount systems, it lets you identify a machine from the front/back and then see which machine is lit from the other side. When you press the button, a light goes on in back and front of the same system. If you have 42 1U machines in a rack and need to work on one, it is handy to be sure it is the right one without having to count down from the top of the stack.

Not useful enough to rule out more USB, though.

ddrueding

Fixture
... And that RAM is not compatible at all. Working fine with the 8GB I pulled from my wife's machine. I'd still like to get 64GB I here somehow.