RAID JDOG

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Well of course not while the power is off, but when the power is back on the next time the computer does not boot.

LunarMist

I don't know exactly what the problem is. It does not happen every time, but once it does that is it. I think it may have something to do with the initilization order and that there is a delay between the two drives. The RIAD works only on certain controllers that cause me other grief. Right now they are on a 2-port pass through from an Adaptec 1430.

ddrueding

Fixture
Windows softRAID should work on any controller in passthrough mode. I would just make sure that the controller the drives are on isn't even listed as a boot option in the BIOS.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Maybe there is a setting in the BIOS to delay boot up until the hard drives spin up. That would give the array time to initialize.

LunarMist

Windows softRAID should work on any controller in passthrough mode. I would just make sure that the controller the drives are on isn't even listed as a boot option in the BIOS.

Boot order is not the problem because it does the same when manually selected. The array works fine until the drives are powered down. There is some problem with the drivers or Windows that does not support hotswap correctly even though the same drives do when not RAIDed. The computer does not subsequently hang with the Adaptec controller compared to the SIL, but that is internal vs. the necessary external one. It is a temporary kludge with cables all over the place and the top off, not to mention the extra 20-25 sec. boot time. :( I really want to to try with the LSI only if I can figure out how to get everything connected.

LunarMist

I removed the other controllers, so there is only the LSI now. Four of the ports are liberated to the externals with SATA-SATA adapters or other means. The other RAID is temporarily on the JMB externals cause that is the only way it works consistently. I got a cheap USB 3.0 two-drive box that I will try when a couple of the drives are finished EST testing. Overall I will have 20 SATA ports (17 for drives ) and at least two drives on the USB 3.0.

LunarMist

I see there is a tiny jumper that I missed it last week. :doh:

So now the data will be copied over for the 6-7th time in a week.

LunarMist

Why? It is not an SSD array to wear down. I think it is better to use the drives more frequently now in case some problems are detected.