RAM price drops

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
The thread is steady for three weeks now. First I thought it was only a pause in the price rising scheme, but on my latest price lists (today), there is an overall clear price decrease for anything that's called memory for PC. SDRAM (from 70$ to 55$ for 256MB PC133), DDR SDRAM (for 512MB modules : 195$ to 170$ for PC2100 and from 226$ to 195$ for PC2700) and probably also RDRAM, although for the later, I really don't give a shit.

Anyone else has noticed the price fall or is it just me? I can't believe it's a local phenomenon.

(all prices in $CDN)

e_dawg

Storage Freak
I noticed SDRAM prices are pretty low, but they haven't brought DDR down more than a few bucks recently. Actually, I noticed prices for computer parts in general have gone up at a few stores. I think they are trying to take advantage of the back to school season because of the built-in September deadline... people are less willing to wait for the best price.

BTW, Coug, is it true that the nForce 1 220/420 boards are no longer being carried by distributors? They all seem to be discontinued everywhere I look. Any news on when the nForce 2 is going to appear?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
e_dawg said:
BTW, Coug, is it true that the nForce 1 220/420 boards are no longer being carried by distributors? They all seem to be discontinued everywhere I look. Any news on when the nForce 2 is going to appear?
I had problems to get nForce-based motherboards some three weeks ago, but now it's ok and they are available again (at least here).

I think nForce2 mainboards will arrive between the end of September, beginning of October IIRC. The sooner the better. Although I doubt it will effectively bring the 20% boost in performance NVIDIA told us back when it launched the chipset, I expect it to be the fastest socket-A platform for quite a while. This is one of the few things AMD needs to become competitive against Intel again, along with the 333MHz FSB.