RDP Virus

Stereodude

Not really a
Lovely... I only have one PC that's internet accessible with RDP, but it was on the default port. The password is definitely not going to be broken with a dictionary attack, but I've changed the port from the default none the less.

ddrueding

Fixture
The attacks that favor servers are always more brutal IMHO. Mainly because these machines are usually always-on and can be attached to massive pipes.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
It would be relatively trivial to add a port scan to such an attack to find the RDP port. It's really not worth the hassle to move it. You're better off not exposing RDP externally in the first place, but that can be an issue if you have some obnoxious client that can't handle the VPN protocols available with whatever end-point you're using.

But the strong passwords thing still holds, obviously.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
If you front your TS connections with a TS Gateway server you will also not have a problem. Not only is it more informtion you have to know but only 443 is exposed.

Mercutio

In the history of ever and for all my clients, I still only have six Server 2008 machines in production. At least one machine I'll have to update this year will probably still be Server 2003, though I'm going to try to get away with virtualizing it one way or the other.

ddrueding

Fixture
I'm perfectly happy with 2008, and am updating all the servers as the underlying software is updated. I still need to figure out how to set up a RDP gateway.

Mercutio

My customers have the same issues with 2008 as they do with Vista/Win7, which is that some of their stuff doesn't run for one reason or other.