Really?

Stereodude

Not really a
I drink very minimally. I tried a few Bloody Mary's but they're just not my thing. The Tres Agaves Bloody Mary mix is fantastic though by itself. Their Margarita mix is the best I've come across.

ddrueding

Fixture
While my Russian relatives were here, we were averaging 4-6 drinks per person per day. I stopped completely for a week after that. Just starting back up now.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
I mostly drink beer from local micro-brewers. Many are quite good, but you'll never see those outside Quebec.

Best alcoholic drink I've had was a maple-sirup-flavored one made by Domaine Kildare. You mix the "Crème" with the "Digestif" from them and it is just awesome.

Stereodude

Not really a
How big is a 'standard' drink in the USA or Canada?
I guess I should have asked what you mean by standard drink? What you get in a bar when you order a beer? Most places I've been to will offer you a 22floz or a 16floz. You can pick which you want. Some high alcohol percentage beers will come in smaller glasses.

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
How big is a 'standard' drink in the USA or Canada?

A standard can of beer is 12 US fluid ounces assuming 5% alcohol or 1.5 ounces of spirits assuming 40%.

USA uses 14 grams of alcohol as the definition of a standard drink. IIRC Australian equivalents for the above would be 8 oz and 1 oz respectively.

There's no labelling law that requires "this contains x.x standard drinks" either so makes keeping under the drink drive limit interesting.

ddrueding

Fixture
There's no labelling law that requires "this contains x.x standard drinks" either so makes keeping under the drink drive limit interesting.

When I lived in Denver my regular bar had breathalyzers at the bar and with the bouncer on the way to the parking lot. Made for interesting...research.

sedrosken

Florida Man
I don't drink and don't have any plans to, so I'm pretty useless in these sorts of conversations. My family has a history of moderation problems in several ways so I would prefer to not even get started on it.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I don't drink and don't have any plans to, so I'm pretty useless in these sorts of conversations. My family has a history of moderation problems in several ways so I would prefer to not even get started on it.

You have a great attitude. :) So many young people go off the deep end with alcohol or substance abuse.

I'm from CA and even back in the 70s the drinking age was 21 so I got a late start. I've only been drunk a half dozen times and never sick like you see on TV.

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
It has been my experience that the older one gets the less tolerant one becomes of hangovers. Sadly this has greatly diminished my capacity to party.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
With Flagreen's return, Bozo lost his forum elder title.

I read and heard that elders develop a fondness for bitter/sour food and drinks. Has it happened with you now that you are in your early seventies, or you still drink the same beverages than thirty years ago?

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
With Flagreen's return, Bozo lost his forum elder title.

I read and heard that elders develop a fondness for bitter/sour food and drinks. Has it happened with you now that you are in your early seventies, or you still drink the same beverages than thirty years ago?

Greetings Coug - You mean 90's don't you? Its true one grows less particular about a lot of things as time passes. Take women for example.... I threw the proverbial 10 foot pole out when I hit 80. Fat and ugly is just fine these days. Drunken Bastard is starting to look pretty good to me too.

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
You just need to drink more water with your booze, or so I've heard.

Greetings SD - I do wake up pretty thirsty the morning after. Maybe not mixing enough water is what I've been doing wrong. Of course what goes in one end must come out the other and that can be a problem too as one reaches an advanced age. You youngsters have a lot to look forward to.

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
Wow 15 years and I'm still only an apprentice? WTF! Is there a slow learners class I can sign up for?

CougTek

Serial computer killer
Greetings Coug - You mean 90's don't you?
I thought you were something like 57 in 2002 or 2003. That would put you in your early seventies by now.

I also remember not to take everything you write to the first degree.

Thinking about it...
  • early seventies
  • not to be taken to the first degree

...do you tweet a lot?

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
I thought you were something like 57 in 2002 or 2003. That would put you in your early seventies by now.

I also remember not to take everything you write to the first degree.

Thinking about it...
  • early seventies
  • not to be taken to the first degree

...do you tweet a lot?

Actually I was 51 most of 2002 and turned 65 last November. I have a Twitter account that I usually check every day ( @LiamGerard ) but I don't tweet out very often. You still riding that Harley? Its a chick magnet right?

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
Wait, you use Twitter? :scratch:

Yes I read tweets from the folks I follow daily but rarely send anything out. I have one moron who follows me hoping to sell me real estate or something. I don't follow the Kardashians if that's what you're wondering.

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
Greetings Coug - You mean 90's don't you? Its true one grows less particular about a lot of things as time passes. Take women for example.... I threw the proverbial 10 foot pole out when I hit 80. Fat and ugly is just fine these days. Drunken Bastard is starting to look pretty good to me too.

Looks like I need to order that flashlight with strobe soon....... ☺

CougTek

Serial computer killer
You still riding that Harley? Its a chick magnet right?

The problem with a motorcycle is that it attracts clan-people and I'm more a lone wolf. When I stop somewhere, it's not to chat with people. It's generally because I need to lose weight or eat something.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
The problem with a motorcycle is that it attracts clan-people and I'm more a lone wolf. When I stop somewhere, it's not to chat with people. It's generally because I need to lose weight or eat something.

You don't have to ride a Fat Boy. :D