Request advice: network storage

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Hey gang,
My wife and I are settling into our new house, and we need to setup some sort of robust backup system. With my job starting soon, I won't have much time to think about it for the next year. It will need to backup and/or serve data from two computers mostly. Between my wife and I, we're talking about somewhere around 340 GB currently, but of course I'll want room to grow. Thus I'm guessing that 500 GB will suffice for now. Most of the data that it will either be serving or backing up isn't accessed regularly (i.e. backed up pictures), or the data that is accessed more frequently doesn't require great speed (MP3s), and the stuff that is frequently accessed are small files (Word, Excel, Quicken files). We're too forgetful to backup regularly to DVD, so I want some sort of hard drive system. Above I've said "backup/serve" because right now most of the data I access is served off of the old desktop computer because I like being able to access it from my laptop or wife's computer, and my wife and I share an MP3 collection. I'd like to move almost all of our data to a single server.

Here's what I've got:
- Two desktop computers, with a good amount of storage space on them already - enough to keep original copies of the data.
- My old desktop computer, which is serving up most of the data that I use. It has an old 7K250, but after the move it made some loud clicking noises. Windows thought the drive didn't have any errors, but I'm not about to trust it.
- My wireless network router has 4 ethernet ports - two are taken up by the two desktop computers, the old desktop computer uses the other, and the fourth is rarely used by a laptop. The laptop can use wireless if it has to.

<b>Some options I've thought of:
-Option #1- turn the old desktop into a full featured server. Install linux on some hard drive, and pop in a 500 GB, and somehow set it up to regularly backup it's data back to the desktop computers. Or better yet, just get two 500 GB drives and set them up in RAID1. The good is that I've already got the old computer (MSI K8T Neo, AMD64 "Newcastle" 3000, 512 MB RAM, SATA RAID ports (Promise and VIA 8237), so the cost would be $115 per 500GB hard drive. The bad is that if the computer dies, my data is at least temporarily off-line. Also, since I'm now paying my electric bills, it involves running another computer 24/7. However, I do like having another desktop computer available to me in case my main one goes down for any reason. Is there a better RAID card that what my board comes with that is relatively cheap? I like the idea of being able to take out the HDs and RAID card and just plugging them into another computer in case the old desktop goes down.

-Option #2 - set up a simple NAS HD device, either one that comes with the HD or buy the device and HD separately. I suppose this would eat less electricity, and perhaps be more reliable than my old desktop acting as a server. The down side is that it will be slightly more expensive per GB. It looks like 500GB models start around $200, and I'd pay about the same at least for the device and HD separately. From looking around online, it looks like these devices range from adequate and hassle-free to buggy, slow, and frustratingly crippled.

Here's another thing: the computer room is located directly above our laundry/storage room, which is where the cable (internet) comes into the home. There is a sizable gap around heating/cooling vent, making it trivial to run wires though the floor, which is how we ran the cable up to the computer room. Directly beneath the computer room in the laundry room is a series of sturdy wooden shelves upon which we could mount some computer hardware - near power, in a cool place, and above the floor where water could potentially accumulate. The computer room gets warm, being on the second floor and filled with 3 computers and two hot bodies (OK, one hot body and one not so hot one) in a small room. Moving some of the heat generating equipment downstairs might be appreciated.

Anybody have thoughts on a simple, cheap, effective way of accomplishing my relatively simple backup goals? Yeah, yeah, it's probably pick 2 out of the 3.

Thanks,
Adcadet
P.S. The move went surprisingly well. We had some very minor hickups, but nothing to complain about and we're now permanently here in Rochester. If anybody is near by, shoot me a hello!

ddrueding

Fixture
If you are OK with the power consumption of your existing PC, that would obviously be the easiest solution. Considering that it will be in another room, noise and space aren't really issues. I'd just throw a hard drive in there and use the Microsoft SyncToy to send things over, it works really well.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Old computer with a 3Ware 2 port RAID card ($150.00??) sounds like the way to go.
I wouldn't any computer hardware in the laundry. Too much humidity. Combine that with some of the laundry cleaners and you could have a lot of corrosion in the computer.

Bozo :joker:

Adcadet

Storage Freak
2 SATA Port 3ware cards start are $115 or so - ouch. Is there any problem these days with getting a $40 PCI SATA2 card and setting up Linux (or WinXP) do run software RAID?

The laundry room contains the laundry stuff, heater, AC, etc, and a large storage area, and I haven't noticed any humidity when my wife has run the laundry machine. And the storage part would be at least 12 feet from the washer/dryer. But you're right, perhaps I want to keep computer equipment out of there.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Any reason I can't spend $40 or whatever for two external enclosures and $230 for two 500 GB drives, and leave one plugged in and turned on all the time and have the second one periodically turn on and back up the first?

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Robust backup and hard drives don't make sense to me.

If don't have a copy of your media off-site, then you are vulnerable to fire/theft/human error deletions etc.

Apparently the on-line services aren't too bad, if your net connection is up to the task.

Can't beat tape for offsite, if you can manage to get a cheap drive off ebay etc.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
For 6 months I'm going with cable internet that gives me ~250kpbs upstream, and then after the 6 month promotion I'll jump to the service that gives ~500kpbs. So I figure 400 GB will take me ... 400 GB * 1024 MB/GB * 1024 MB/KB * 1/~200kpbs * 1 min/60 seconds * 1 hour/60 min = ~583 hours = ~24.3 days on my current connection, or maybe ~12 days when I jump to 500 kpbs upstream. Yeah, I don't think my connection is up to the task of online backup.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Just put 1 extra HD in each PC and use SyncToy to backup each PC to the other. No extra external devices needed and each machine has a full copy of the data even if the other PC is off.

Shut down the old desktop if it isn't being used.

ddrueding

Fixture
We can talk about how robust to make the system and how secure you want your data forever. Considering the primary storage location for your data is on your computer and this is only in case the first fails, crazy redundancy is just that. I don't think you need RAID at all, your redundancy is in the 2 copies you have; one in your PC and the other in the laundry room. Considering this isn't a live copy, accidental deletion would have to not be noticed immediately for it to carry over. If you want an additional layer of protection, keep another USB hard drive at a friends place and refresh it's copy monthly.

Of course we could sink an infinite amount of money into a system and insure that it survives WWIII, but how much do you care about your data, anyway?

Adcadet

Storage Freak
We can talk about how robust to make the system and how secure you want your data forever. Considering the primary storage location for your data is on your computer and this is only in case the first fails, crazy redundancy is just that. I don't think you need RAID at all, your redundancy is in the 2 copies you have; one in your PC and the other in the laundry room. Considering this isn't a live copy, accidental deletion would have to not be noticed immediately for it to carry over. If you want an additional layer of protection, keep another USB hard drive at a friends place and refresh it's copy monthly.

Of course we could sink an infinite amount of money into a system and insure that it survives WWIII, but how much do you care about your data, anyway?
Good points. My thinking seems in line with yours, but so I supposed I mis-spoke when I talked about a fairly "robust" system. I should have known better than to use that term around here, where people take "robust" seriously! I want something that's very simple and will provide me with reasonable protection. I've already burned the really important stuff to DVD and given copies to both sets of parents and my best friend. The next most important stuff is burned on DVD and in my closet. The less important stuff is on multiple HDs.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Just put 1 extra HD in each PC and use SyncToy to backup each PC to the other. No extra external devices needed and each machine has a full copy of the data even if the other PC is off.

Shut down the old desktop if it isn't being used.
Now that Ubuntu can read and write to NTFS somewhat safely I can access all the data on my main machine no matter what OS I'm in, so my old desktop is becoming less important. Perhaps I'll do exactly as your saying, as that seems to be the cheapest and easiest solution for me. Perhaps if I freaked out at the idea of installing an internal HD I'd go with an external USB HD or something.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Fushigi's suggestion seems appropriate. I would also put all files that won't need to be updated (mp3, videos, pictures) on DVDs and store them in a safe location.

Also, despite your moving, you left your location to Minneapolis, Minnesota. What kind of retard have you become!?! (j/k)

Last edited:

Adcadet

Storage Freak
I was waiting for a great deal at Newegg or another place I trust, but time started to run short and I decided to go with two 500GB Seagate 7200.10's, one for my computer, and one for my wife's. When I ordered them they were a bit cheaper than the Samsung drives since I'd have to pay ~$6 per Samsung drive, and hey, a 5-year warranty is pretty good, right. I'm just moving stuff over to the new drive in my PC, then I'll start setting up Microsoft's SyncToy and see if DD's recommendation comes through. Thanks all for your help and advice.