Root Beer

adriel

Learning Storage Performance
I'm looking for some good bottled root beer that is available in the US. I've tried the weinhard root beer, but it doesn't taste like root beer and the foam filled my stomach up. On the other hand, I was able to get some Bundaberg root beer in Seattle and while it is good stuff, I'm having trouble locating online importers for it. I'm sure there are many other lesser known root beers...is there a SF brew?

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
You've probably seen this already, but it looks like this place would be happy to let you buy it online. Unfortunately they are out of stock right now.

Handruin

Administrator
Cliptin said:
I'm not sure if IBC root beer is available in your area but it is the best I've had.

I agree with Cliptin, IBC is the best I've had so far. I also like birch beer. IBC also makes a great cream soda and cherry soda.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Funnily enough, it's extremely common here. If one shop doesn't sell it, the next one will. :)

Actually, most people here prefer Bundaberg Ginger Beer. It's just about the only softdrink you can buy that isn't sickly sweet. Because it's brewed, I suppose.

Bundaberg is a small city about 250 miles from here that is the center of a sugar cane growing region. The city also gives its name to Bundaberg Rum, a popular dark rum.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Quite right, Time. I can buy it here in Ballarat, and frequently do. Just about the only fizzy drink I ever buy these days. Oh, and Coke. I drink a can of Coke maybe three times a year.

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
time said:
Bundaberg is a small city about 250 miles from here that is the center of a sugar cane growing region. The city also gives its name to Bundaberg Rum, a popular dark rum.

Yeah, taking the tour will leave a stench on your clothes that lasts for a week. I really have an aversion to ginger now.

JSF

What is this storage?
I agree that IBC is a fine rootbeer in the US; however, the best that I have tasted is Virgil's Micro Brewed Rootbeer. I buy this beverage at Trader Joe's. It is produced by Original Beverage Corp., LA, CA 1-800-997-337, www.virgils.com

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
IBC & Stuarts are my favorites. For those who desire their rb to be calorically challenged, both offer diet versions that are close to indistuinguishable from their regular versions.

- Fushigi

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
When I was in Cub Scouts, a looooonnnnggg time ago, one of the things we did was make root beer. It was pretty cool. I don't remember much, but we did have to harvest saspirilla (leaves, I think) to do it.

adriel

Since this thread started, I have found Virgil's root beer in health food stores in Oregon, California, Florida, and Virginia. But not in New Jersey or Illinois. The root beer is usually low or out of stock. I have ordered online, but with broken bottles. Costco has the large Virgil's keg in California, but I am not a Costco member and I believe in drinking from glass bottles anyway.

But the real news is, and my reason for posting this update, is I have arrived in Australia and will go out looking for Bundaberg tomorrow!!!!!!!!

ddrueding

Fixture
A friend of mine is a hard-core root beer drinker; he has 20+ kinds stocked at his house and has tastings all the time. All ordered from distributors on the internet. I forget exactly what was his favorite but I do remember that my local brew was in the top 3. I believe it was 2nd, having a tad too much spearmint for his palette.

[urlhttp://www.sparkysrootbeer.com/]Sparky's Root Beer[/url]

It's funny 'cause my friend is not a local and always gets me to bring some when I visit.

adriel

Hey Tannin! I'm drinking up all your supply!

bundy.jpg

No one carries their Root Beer. Just the Ginger Beer. Most say that it's a good drop... I think it tastes exactly like the Stewart's Ginger Beer in the States. They both produce a spicy burn in the throat, enough to make me sweat through the forehead. Bundaberg's version is, although "brewed", unfortunately not all-natural.

I still prefer the Reed's Ginger Brew Extra. It is all-natural, and has a strong ginger taste that hits the spot rather than artificially burning the throat.

I'm at some sort of internet den. The technology is old. Think Pentium MMX and CRTs. I tried to get a network switch at this port because it will take a month for anything from home to be mailed to me. Ballarat is 1000 kilometers away so I cannot support. Local computer store had two gigabits, but they were not dual voltage! So I could not use.

T-mobile "world class roaming" is such a joke. I could not register with any of the three GSM 900/1800 networks in the area with Treo 600: YES OPTUS, Telstra Mobile, and vodafone AU. Worst of all was a buddy sitting next to me with a Sidekick already surfing the net--see, I stopped using the Sidekick over a year ago since it was so sucky. Why T-mobile has per-hour rates listed on the internet for Australia I don't know, since obviously I cannot use my phone in Australia.

Sol

Storage is cool
Generally most sane people avoid even attempting to get online with a mobile device in Australia.
Plans tend towards the insane price wise, I have a connection I occationally need to use for work which is charged at 20c/k. Yes you read that right, just hitting the google front page with images enabled is a $2 exercise and this short thread would come in at well over $10.

Your best bet for a switch may be to buy one which has an external adaptor and just buy a new adaptor when you get back home.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I've just checked and a trip to Sydney from here (one way only) would cost me 1600$CAD. That would climb to 2100$ for Melbourne.

Australia is safe for now... I'll go to a nearby zoo if I want to pet a kangooroo.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Victoria would be a place that I'd like to visit. But then, I would also like to visit South Africa and Scotland. Oh yeah, I don't have any money either. (Where are those pictures of Hawaii?)

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Buck said:
(Where are those pictures of Hawaii?)
Hey, it wouldn't cost me that much to visit Honolulu. 442$ to go and another 442$ to return. One day, I have to do it.

Also, given the choice, would you rather travel in an Airbus 320 or a Boeing 763? I would have more confidence in the Airbus (design is more modern), but I haven't done any research.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
CougTek said:
Buck said:
(Where are those pictures of Hawaii?)
Hey, it wouldn't cost me that much to visit Honolulu. 442$ to go and another 442$ to return. One day, I have to do it.

Also, given the choice, would you rather travel in an Airbus 320 or a Boeing 763? I would have more confidence in the Airbus (design is more modern), but I haven't done any research.

Depends on the airline. But my first choice would the A320. Oh yeah, if you go, stay at the Outrigger Waikiki on the island of Oahu. :D

ddrueding

Fixture
I prefer the big island, less people more "tropical" weather (think warm rain).

I had a nice B&B in a macadamia orchard next to a waterfall, it was pretty much perfect (except for the price).

In that regard, Thiland is the place to be.

adriel

CougTek said:
adriel said:
Ballarat is 1000 kilometers away...
You're near Brisbane?

Probably. Some others were lucky enough to get that port; however we got Townsville.

Buck said:
But then, I would also like to visit South Africa and Scotland.

I was fortunate to get into Scotland last year. Went into Dunoon, took the ferry across the loch, then a train into Glasgow. Walked the streets to Buchannan Galleries mall... and it was like 2 USD for 1 Pound Sterling. Everything was twice as expensive. But I ate about the best hamburger I ever had... something about not being USDA ground beef. Public restrooms were coin operated.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
adriel said:
... we got Townsville.

Actually, you're about 1,500km from Brisbane and maybe 3,500 km from Ballarat ...

I think Bundaberg Ginger Beer changed a few years ago. It now seems sweeter and not really any different from unbrewed softdrink. It used to have lots of sediment and more character. :(

Root beer isn't even on their website, just Horehound. Come to think of it, I haven't seen it around for years.

My favorite softdrink currently is Wimmers Double Sars (sarsaparilla). It has a beautiful head when poured into a suitable glass. Coincidentally, it's also a Queensland product so you can probably buy it in Townsville.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
time said:
adriel said:
... we got Townsville.

Actually, you're about 1,500km from Brisbane and maybe 3,500 km from Ballarat ...
You're ok with the distance from Brisbane (it's more like 1300km), but unless roads are incredibly curvy in Australia, it shouldn't be farther than 2500km from Ballarat. After 3500km, he'd be midway between Adelaide and Perth (in the middle of nowhere).

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Shit, I've checked the roads...they are incredibly curvy. According to my map, that's 3410Km by the coast. "Straight" must be a banned term in Australia.

You know, using an airplane, 3500km would be enough to go from Townsville to Perth.

adriel

time said:
My favorite softdrink currently is Wimmers Double Sars (sarsaparilla). It has a beautiful head when poured into a suitable glass. Coincidentally, it's also a Queensland product so you can probably buy it in Townsville.

I went to a grocery called "Action". They had some "concentrate" products... I guess you mix those with water or alcohol? Like Coopers Ginger Beer concentrate, or dark ale concentrate. The only Bundaberg soda was a "bitters" ginger ale product. In fact, the last time I asked for a "Bundy" expecting a soft drink, I got their rum+coke,very sweet tasting.

For all the talk about Australian beer being double-strength, I was disappointed by the "local strong beer" menu. The one called Pure Blonde actually said "light" and "low calories" on the bottle! I guess that's the weak beer in Australia. And I was surprised to learn no one drinks Fosters.