Rotating your IP address?

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
If you use FF as your browser, I believe Merc mentioned FoxyProxy b4, it's a plugin for FF.

IIRC, tor has some vulnerability or compromises, but you'd have to search/read up on that.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Tor does that, yes, based on whomever happens to be running a Tor end-point when you happen to be doing something.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
You should be rotating your IP address every 30 days so that they don't get overused and to maintain internet efficiency.

Proper procedure is to down you router and modem and then bring up the modem first and then the router.

Be a good internet user and help to keep the system running at an optimum level.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I turn the modem on and off almost every day. There is no router though, just a cheap switch, but it is on that same remote outlet.

Handruin

Administrator
Why do you turn the router off ever day? Are you trying to save electricity?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
That would be my thought. However, a cheap electronic item, and, everyday you aren't really turning off, your blacking it out by pulling the power plug out, or turning off the power source. Can't be real good for it???

My understanding was they lasted longer protected by a surge protector.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
When I shut everything down, and back up, it still shows the same IP address. Is the firefox add on showing my IP behind my router firewall? How would I see what addresses are present outside our firewall, or, what the router firewall presents as an IP address?

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
When I shut everything down, and back up, it still shows the same IP address.

It is likely that the ISP is giving you the same address when you renew through DHCP. I know at one point Comcast was registering the MAC, probably for DHCP reservations I'm guessing.

Please don't take seriously my #9 post.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Why do you turn the router off ever day? Are you trying to save electricity?

So it is not a good idea to change the IP?

The computer is connected to one remote outlet and then another remote outlet is plugged into that for the modem, etc. If the first outlet is turned off then of course everything is off, but sometimes I turn the second one off separately. Usually everything is off when I leave home and I turn it on with a different remote after returning. The computer is set to power on after an outage, so it boots up then while I'm putting things away, etc., and is up and running by the time I get to it. I probably should get another remote for the amster bedroom.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
It seems to me that it's neither here nor there whether you ever change your IP address. If you've taken reasonable precautions to protect your network, there's little, if anything, that a change of address will do.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
From my limited experiance with DHCP servers: The server can be set to hold an address for MAC address/computer. This is usually set by the administrator when the server is installed.
At work, our DHCP server is set for seven days. If a computer is off longer than that, it gets a different address.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
From my limited experiance with DHCP servers: The server can be set to hold an address for MAC address/computer. This is usually set by the administrator when the server is installed.
At work, our DHCP server is set for seven days. If a computer is off longer than that, it gets a different address.

That is correct. You set a pool of addresses to be handed out in the DHCP server. You can also set a DHCP reservation on the server side. The client behaves the same way in that when the lease runs out on one address it asks for another one. By default the server would try to give you the same address you had last. On the server side you can specify that a particular network card will always get the address you have reserved. This may be called something different in 'nix land.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
It's actually really easy to change the IP address.

Get into the router settings, change the MAC address, and you change the IP.

LOST6200

Storage is cool
Itr make sno differnce. If they wanmt ot, they wikll get you and ruin your flife, No thing can be done for teh resistance.