question Running VMware on two computers

DanielThorup

What is this storage?
Hello,

A friend and I (at school) are trying to setup af complete network on separate computers.
We are both running VMware (same version) and a Virtuel Smoothwall (firewall) to share internet access across our host-only servers.
So..
I'm running a smoothwall with NAT and Host-only network card. My AD server is running with only host-only. This ensures that my server have internet access through my firewall.
My friend is running with a similar setup. However he created an Active Directoty (Fancy.local) and I wish to join that AD from my server on my physical computer. Is that possible?

I've attached a network drawing for further explaination. :)

I just can't seem to find his server anywhere on the network..

Picture:
http://imgur.com/LZveTmI

Handruin

Administrator
This sounds possible but you'll need to do some configuration changes. Since both the systems you want to communicate are behind a NAT, you will need to forward the appropriate ports and protocols. If you don't, then both systems are protected behind the NAT/firewall. If you're looking to keep your communication private between these two systems, you may want to research creating a IPSec tunnel between your two Smoothwalls.

Just for some additional clarity, are you running VMWare workstation or you running ESXi?

DanielThorup

What is this storage?
We'll look into it

We are running vmware workstation

We just have to be careful not going to bridged as an alternative, as we are running dhcp on our windows server.
The windows server only have host-only network card, so hopefully it shouldnt be a problem

Handruin

Administrator
Within your VMWare workstation network configuration are you using a bridged adapter for the WAN port side of your smoothwall VM so that it has access to your school's network and a VMware NAT config for the LAN side where the AD server is connected? That should keep you from worrying about hosting a DHCP server on your school's network.

DanielThorup

What is this storage?
The smoothwall have two network cards. One NAT and one host-only.
All the servers have host-only network cards and nothing else.

But it sounds possible with the port forwarding - and we might look into IPSec if it comes to that :)

Thanks!