Ryzen

Stereodude

Not really a
Flakey motherboard and/or CPU. :(
The memory test is still running... It's at 53% and says it needs another ~24 hours and the total time keeps going up.

I had a clean Windows 10 install that gave me fits on my Dell XPS 13 laptop with all sorts of wonky behavior. Not exactly like this, but all sorts of odd things. Another clean install of the exact same windows 10 version on the XPS 13 and it works fine. So, I'm not quite as skeptical about a clean install potentially fixing the issues on the Ryzen 9 system as I might otherwise be.

Otherwise, I either need to buy a different motherboard or another AM4 CPU for continued troubleshooting since I don't have access to another of either. I'm not certain that using a non Zen 2 CPU will be as useful for troubleshooting as a Zen 2 CPU. It's possible a Zen+ CPU, like the Athlon 3000G might work fine in my X570 board even though the motherboard is bad. Similarly I'm not sure that using a non x570 motherboard will be all that helpful either. It's possible the CPU is defective, but might work fine in a B450 board whereas it fails in a x570 board. They're probably small possibilities, but would prevent the troubleshooting steps from being as conclusive as they could be.

I suppose the most conclusive things would be to buy another of the exact same hardware for swapping, but even that has a potential coverage miss as maybe it's an issue with the specific motherboard I have and the other hardware I've put it in and another x570 board wouldn't have the issue.

Stereodude

Not really a
The first memory test took around 54 hours to complete and found nothing. The second did 4 passes overnight and found nothing. Now I've got the system stripped as bare as it gets (optical drive and HDD's disconnected + 10gig nic out) and am seeing if I can get any of the glitchy/quirky behavior to manifest after some hours of a Prime95 SmallFFT load. If that fails, I will try with x265.

Newtun

Storage is nice
This thread seems to have gone dormant for some reason. ;) I did follow The Dude's HW issues with some interest, from here in the "bleacher seats".
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/10/how-a-months-old-amd-microcode-bug-destroyed-my-weekend
I'd been "window shopping" for x570 mobos, and maybe that article explains why I saw a significant number of x570 purchasers that had problems getting their builds to boot, or had other inexplicable reliability issues.
I'm still "window shopping" . . . In the mean time, comsumer MB supplies seemed to have "dried up" a bit for some reason. 🤪

I was looking into a $600-800 "minor league" build: x570 board, 3600/6-core or 3700x/8-core 65 watt CPU, 16 GB RAM, ¼-½ TB SSD. Non-gaming, so flashing neon lights on the MB not required. I had already gotten a video card, a Radeon R7 240 that will suit/exemplify my needs.

It's been about 13 years since my last build, and I retired in October, so this x570 build was going to be a little fun/keep-busy project.

I had a candidate for the MB, the Gigabyte X570 Gaming X (not in stock now). Checking into some alternatives, it seems that a lot of the available mobos have "bi-modal" ratings - a good number of 4-5 ratings (out of 5), but 10-20% 1 or 2 ratings; I know to take some with a grain of salt (e.g., possible user errors), but there are still some nasty reviews like "it worked for a while, then failed", the "XYZ ports never worked right", etc.

My requirements are fairly minimal; this would be my new main PC for web browsing, Emails, Youtube-ing and light video/audio editing, small word-processing and spreadsheet docs, etc.

I would like it to be fairly responsive, though, in the face of its main duty, which is to run the World Community Grid anti-cancer and COVID-19 apps full time (#CPUs×100%×24×7). My current Dell PowerEdge T20 with a Xeon 4-way E3-1225 v3 @ 3.20GHz does pretty well at all that.

I wanted an X570 board, because it seems that the older alternatives' (B450, ...) support for the current Zen gen is flaky - I don't want to have to get a older CPU just to upgrade the BIOS, and then have to rip that out and install the intended 3600/3700x processor. I'm getting too old for that $#!£.

I also wanted X570 because of the m.2 PCIE 4.0 slots, for maximum SSD performance.

But maybe there aren't any reasonably-priced m.2 SSDs that can go beyond PCIE 3 throughput speeds anyway?

I'm also starting to wonder, though, if I would be better off waiting for the Zen 3 gen of CPUs; I'm starting to see reports that they may be launched in September, and have higher clock speeds and IPC. And maybe I should wait, too, for a new generation of motherboards that would support the Vermeer CPUs "out of the box."

Thanks for any comments or suggestions you might have.

Newtun

Storage is nice
In reviewing my above post from a couple of days ago, I see that I neglected to mention that I intend to run Ubuntu Linux on my prospective "minor league" build. So that could be a countervailing factor to my 2nd-to last ¶, in that I might have to wait for Ubuntu to get the necessary "drivers", etc., for the next Zen gen CPUs and motherboards to work correctly (if not optimally).

I would welcome any opinions or recommendations from the more experienced members of this forum (which would be, like, all y'all ;) ).

Handruin

Administrator
Everything you put together sounds like a nice build. The 3600 or 3700X are excellent CPUs for the money. There was a rumor post only a few hours back about some AMD refresh release with an XT moniker being considered. This may drive some prices down while we wait for Zen 3 to come to market. This might help you if you want to get a better deal on a 3600/3700X or get the slight refresh once they become available. I've also seen an occasional deal on slickdeals for various 3600/3700/3900/ect that you may want to keep an eye out for.

I also chose an X570 board for the same reason as you to have the PCIe 4 slot. I never did end up getting a storage device for it that supports the PCIe 4.0 speeds. I stuck with my Samsung 970 evo which has been great so far. There is the Sabrant Rocket 1TB that you can get which supports PCIe 4.0. I doubt if you have that drive and a 970 evo you'd be able to tell them apart in terms of day to day use without benchmarks. My point being, you could likely get a less expensive PCIe 3. m.2 SSD for now and upgrade to a PCIe 4.0 later when they become more available and less expensive. Not that I'm specifically recommending the Samsung 970 EVO.

I haven't tried Ubuntu Linux as a direct install on my AMD config. I suspect it should work but to your point there might be the odd driver support issues that crop up for the various features that come on your motherboard. You will likely have to do more searches for that specific config in more Ubuntu-focused forums/threads.

Given that Zen 3 may be around the corner, I would personally wait under normal circumstances assuming your current system is stable enough. That said with everything going on with covid, it's a tough call on what availability will be like or even if Zen 3 might get delayed. Since you appear to keep your systems for a very long time, it might be worth waiting and getting the fastest version in your budget to give it the longest usable lifespan.