Ryzen

Stereodude

Not really a
The CPU is cheaper at Microcenter. The build is a little low end. What's the 1TB HD for? Why not skip it and get a larger SSD?

I'm not entirely sure how much better can be done for the price though. The goal is pretty tough. I'd be tempted to wait and try to save a few hundred more dollars.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Speaking of Ryzen, my son is trying to build a gaming PC all in (monitor too) for about $600. The purpose is probably gaming.
Here's the build list he put together. Thoughts?
Ditch the cooler. Stock is fine and you can put that money elsewhere. Like faster memory. Ryzen likes that.

If you're willing to go used, video cards and spinning disks are pretty cheap.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I'd be tempted to wait and try to save a few hundred more dollars.
Between the power outage in Japan and the looming Japan-Korea trade war, DRAM and NAND prices are going to go up. And the US-China trade war doesn't make anything cheaper.

It may be a wash waiting for some prices to go down while others go up.

Stereodude

Not really a
Between the power outage in Japan and the looming Japan-Korea trade war, DRAM and NAND prices are going to go up. And the US-China trade war doesn't make anything cheaper.

It may be a wash waiting for some prices to go down while others go up.
That's not what I meant. I meant saving money as in the accrual of more money to afford a more expensive build, not that those components were going to get cheaper.

Will Rickards

Storage Freak
Website
willrickards.net
So I looked at microcenter and they have a bundle that includes:
Ryzen 5 2600X, Asrock B450 PRO4, Samsung 970 EVO+ 500GB M.2 for 292.97.
Adding a case $50 and power supply $50 and 16GB Ram $60 leads to about 452.97 before video card.
I told him to watch for sales on video cards and he can deal with the built-in graphics till there is a good sale.