Ryzen

Stereodude

Not really a
The CPU is cheaper at Microcenter. The build is a little low end. What's the 1TB HD for? Why not skip it and get a larger SSD?

I'm not entirely sure how much better can be done for the price though. The goal is pretty tough. I'd be tempted to wait and try to save a few hundred more dollars.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Speaking of Ryzen, my son is trying to build a gaming PC all in (monitor too) for about $600. The purpose is probably gaming.
Here's the build list he put together. Thoughts?
Ditch the cooler. Stock is fine and you can put that money elsewhere. Like faster memory. Ryzen likes that.

If you're willing to go used, video cards and spinning disks are pretty cheap.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I'd be tempted to wait and try to save a few hundred more dollars.
Between the power outage in Japan and the looming Japan-Korea trade war, DRAM and NAND prices are going to go up. And the US-China trade war doesn't make anything cheaper.

It may be a wash waiting for some prices to go down while others go up.

Stereodude

Not really a
Between the power outage in Japan and the looming Japan-Korea trade war, DRAM and NAND prices are going to go up. And the US-China trade war doesn't make anything cheaper.

It may be a wash waiting for some prices to go down while others go up.
That's not what I meant. I meant saving money as in the accrual of more money to afford a more expensive build, not that those components were going to get cheaper.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
So I looked at microcenter and they have a bundle that includes:
Ryzen 5 2600X, Asrock B450 PRO4, Samsung 970 EVO+ 500GB M.2 for 292.97.
Adding a case $50 and power supply $50 and 16GB Ram $60 leads to about 452.97 before video card.
I told him to watch for sales on video cards and he can deal with the built-in graphics till there is a good sale.

Stereodude

Not really a
So it's September now. When this month is the 3950X supposed to drop? Of course the 3900X is still quite hard to come by so the 3950X might be even harder to get.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I'm not sure what to say about this one and it just seems like a lot to you about it all.

LunarMist

I have no idea what it means, but somehow the Androids were involved. :rolleyes:o_O:cautious:

I still have a deadline for the Windows 7, so I am interested in all the Intel and AMD CPUs. I don't have much hope that the Ryzen hexadeca-core will help me compared to the dodeca-core CPU unless there are some other improved attributes of the CPU RAM, chipset, motherboard, etc.

Stereodude

Not really a
So, install Windows 10 on your dodeca-core CPU based system and wait for further advances from AMD or Intel.

LunarMist

I'm writing about the 3950X vs. the 3900X. I still use the 5930K from almost 5 years ago.
At the very least I need a faster CPU to compensate for the Windows 10 Meltdown and Spectres.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
AMD and Intel are more or less at the same IPC. The only difference is that Intel costs more and clocks higher. And, if number of cores matter, AMD has more for less $$.

Newer processors from both companies come with built-in mitigations for the those flaws. But they keep finding new ones in Intel chips.

I'd guess that you could build a system acceptable to you around a Ryzen 3600.

LunarMist

I see no reason to choose the 3600 over the 3900X. The clock speeds of the 3600 are slower.
The question is between the 3900X and 3950X since the former has a better base frequency.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I see no reason to choose the 3600 over the 3900X. The clock speeds of the 3600 are slower.
The question is between the 3900X and 3950X since the former has a better base frequency.
Get a 3600X. Same base frequency.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
May as well wait for the new Threadrippers. Why not spend more money for a marginal gain, right?

LunarMist

Do you know when the next Intel and AMD HEDT CPUs will be out, but probably not until well into 2020?
Of course I'd like a non-crippled chipset with a number of PCIe lanes.

LunarMist

Somehow I thought that a murderer or criminal mainly had an MO, but I was not very good in Latin class. :(