Samsung 204T versus Dell 2005FPW.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Customer wants new big shiny display.

Me sees Dell selling the 2005FPW at 561.75$CAN and another online store selling the Samsung 204T at similar price (~5$ difference shipped).

Me has the Dell and me very satisfied with the picture. Me knows that the Samsung packs even more pixels (1600x1200 against 1680x1050 for the 2005FPW) and that Samsung usually offers decent LCD monitors.

Me looks at spec sheets of both and me sees that features and spec. (contrast ratio/response time/viewing angles) are comparable.

Me knows that Samsung is PVA, but Dell is S-IPS.

Me wants to know if people here have had a close encounter of the third kind with the Samsung 204T and what they think about it.

Me sits and wait for reply.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
At 30 inches. Like my wang.

Seriously, I don't have any experience with the Samsung display, but the customers I've had who wanted large LCDs and bought widescreens (er, both of them) have later complained about missing the vertical screen space.

ddrueding

Fixture
Mercutio said:
At 30 inches. Like my wang.

Seriously, I don't have any experience with the Samsung display, but the customers I've had who wanted large LCDs and bought widescreens (er, both of them) have later complained about missing the vertical screen space.

Drool. That is the sexiest thing I've seen today. Isn't that way above the DVI spec? Any guestimates on the price? My 191T is getting a bit old in the tooth, it will soon be sent to the kitchen.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
As I understand it, extremely high resolution LCDs apparently use a dual DVI connector to achieve extreme resolutions like that.

That 30"er could still be very price-competitive vs. smaller flat-panel HDTVs. Just something to keep in mind.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Coug: go for the Samsung vs the 2005FPW.

More pixels, more screen area. The 2005 is very "short" with 1050 vertical pxels.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Mercutio said:
As I understand it, extremely high resolution LCDs apparently use a dual DVI connector to achieve extreme resolutions like that.

That 30"er could still be very price-competitive vs. smaller flat-panel HDTVs. Just something to keep in mind.

Problem is you can't feed the 3007 any component signals. So it can only be used in conjunction with a PC with dual link DVI. Limits it's applications for home-theatre. Even 1080p is going to look a little shitty at 2560*1600.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
The Samsung 214T is apparently the new one and is supposed to be awesome. If available, check it out.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Already did, costs 880$CAN. I know the panel is a bit better, but 300$ for the additional inch is exagerated IMO.