Samsung Making Tony Happier?

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
LunarMist said:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/storage/display/20041001024743.html

It looks like everyone is moving to longer warranties. Naturally I have over 4TB of drives with the measly 1 year warranty. Many of my drives are expired or expiring very soon. :(

Are they WD drives?

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
There is only one old WD2500JB. I gave up on WD 7.2K drives after that, since every one of the drives I purchased (800BB, 1000BB, 1200BB, 2x1800BB) had moderate to severe idle noise.

Most of the drives are 200 and 250GB DM+9s, with two each 200GB Hitachi 250GXP and 200GB Seagate 7200.7 (just missed the extra warranty with the latter) and a couple of DM16s.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Oddly enough I found my first actual, RMAable Samsung drive this week. A 160GB model with 150k of bad sectors. :(

But these longer warranties only make Samsung drives even more appealing.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Maybe so, but that is too much extra work and I don't expect that the extended warranty is transferrable. The main problem with the short warranties is that it makes selling used drives more difficult. We all know that the 2002-2004 drives were not inherently less reliable.

Bookmage

What is this storage?
Website
www.bookmage.net
Perfect...
Samsung drives with 3 year warranties....
lets see them step up to 5 years or something...
Now all I want are bigger drives... sooner rather than later...
200+ for 110$ would be nice.

and for the winning lottery ticket to fall into my pocket...
:mrgrn:

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I'll believe it when I see it.

Now that I have a DVD burner, however, the need for lots of online storage space is decreasing....

Bookmage

What is this storage?
Website
www.bookmage.net
woops... I clicked on the link to Maxtor and was thinking of the Maxtor three year.
Sounds great, but it just says finalizing plans. So if I buy a Samsung drive now, after August 2004, it would fall under a 5 year warranty?
So, we just need the bigger space... for nearline storage :D

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
LunarMist said:
Maybe so, but that is too much extra work and I don't expect that the extended warranty is transferrable. The main problem with the short warranties is that it makes selling used drives more difficult. We all know that the 2002-2004 drives were not inherently less reliable.

Transferrable? As in transferred to the second or third owner? The warranty stays with the serial number, not the owner. The biggest issue is keeping the serial number or drive in region. Don't sell a drive with an "Americas" warranty to someone in Europe, unless they plan on coming to North, Central or South America for their exchange. Similarly, don't sell a drive with a Far East warranty to some in the Americas.