SD or AXDA?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
You either need an AD domain or you don't. Lots of small and midsize businesses don't. I know a lot of places that still have Netware 3 and 4 servers, or run their "server" on a 98 machine. I wouldn't call Samba's functionality as a DC a limitation. It *can* participate as a domain controller in an AD domain.

Anyway, we discussed that very topic some time ago. Like decemberish.

ddrueding

Fixture
I agree with Merc about having a domain not being necessary for most small businesses. One of my clients just grew to ~125 office employees and just got their first (and second) DC to compliment their exchange server.

My home server has been happily running off a EPIA-M motherboard w/1Ghz CPU and 512MB RAM for nearly 2 years. Running 2k server and now 2k3 SBE; it has a 3Ware 7500-8 and over a TB of storage. It runs FTP, HTTP, Exchange, Print Serving, you name it. No fans for the CPU, just the HDD and PSU. :wink:

Bookmage

What is this storage?
Website
www.bookmage.net
hrm... I forgot to mention, I'm testing out a domain for my MCSE cert...
I suppose as long as Samba can pull the authentication information off an AD DC in a domain, then I would be fine.

I'll have to search through the archives for stuff. It was a thread on building a storage server that lead me here...