Seagate 15.6 Cheetah-450GB/164MBs STR

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
Shipping this month (supposedly):

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.j...toid=034f2a0ec2a78110VgnVCM100000f5ee0a0aRCRD

battling to keep up with SSD's

the Cheetah 15K.6 drive remarkably consumes significantly less power, using up to 61% less watts/GB at idle.

Umm, what server environs ("Designed for the world’s most demanding enterprise storage environments"), are these going to be idle for substantial periods of time where that lower power consumption will payoff dividends over the more expensive SSD's?

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Umm, what server environs ("Designed for the world’s most demanding enterprise storage environments"), are these going to be idle for substantial periods of time where that lower power consumption will payoff dividends over the more expensive SSD's?
Every situation where the drive is powered but isn't being used 24x7 would benefit. That includes almost every file server out there and a fair portion of web servers (they mostly operate from cached content). Database & app servers probably won't benefit much from the savings, though.

And that's where Seagate's statement can be misleading. The drive itself may consume a little less power. But what Seagate is touting is reduced power per GB. That's pretty much going to be a given when capacity per drive increases. I'm guessing 150GB/platter density and a 3 platter drive based on the advertised capacities. If prior 15K drives were 4 or more platters then this would also reduce power as well as heat.

Still, the drive sounds nice & I can immediately think of applications for my employer. I've a bunch of 73 & 147GB 15K drives that I would love to upgrade.

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
Frankly 300GB 15K is as big as I want to go without sacrificing IOPS. But looks like this 450GB drive will drop down the pricing of no longer "cutting edge" drives.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Are there any non-RAID SAS controllers for a single drive that don't cost a fortune?