Seagate bought Maxor?

ddrueding

Fixture
I just got an e-mail from Seagate that says:

[FONT=&quot]Now that Maxtor is part of the Seagate family, we help you satisfy an even broader range of customer needs.[/FONT]

Did I miss a memo?

Handruin

Administrator
I had the same recollection today also...was thinking when the fuck did that happen? Then I remembered it happened a while back, but I had to stop and think about it for a minute.

ddrueding

Fixture
Ah, yes. That was so long ago that I'd forgotten. Seems that they have finally decided to let the marketing drones announce it.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
The fallout I see from that is a lot of vomit boxes suddenly having Maxtor branded cheapo-drives. I'll bet they move "Seagate" to a prestige branding.

Mercutio

I'd just like to point out that this is probably the least typos in a Lost6200 post ever in the history of SF.

Also, who the hell would ever go to Maxtor.com?

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
The way I read it, Maxtor will be the crappiest drives that Seagate can put together and still have someone buy them.

The improvement here is that it's Seagate doing that.

RWIndiana

Learning Storage Performance
After Seagate buys Western Digital, Hitachi and Samsung, who will be left to stave off the monopoly?

Sol

Storage is cool
I don't think they'll be buying Samsung any time soon so unless Samsung buy them I think we'll have a duopoly for some time... Which if you ignore brands which price themselves out of the market (Hitachi) or produce drives of questionable quality (Maxtor, WD), we've kind of had for a while...

Mercutio

Samsung is a memory manufacturer, much moreso than a hard disk company. Seagate is a hard disk company that is not a memory company. I rather strongly suspect that Samsung's SSD products will very shortly make it a leader in the secondary storage marketplace.
Duopoly may be a short term scenario.

paugie

Storage is cool
hmmmm...
Is Tannin on another expedition?

This is what I am thinking, not that it has any value.

I have always been a maxtor fan. Maybe because the first HDD I bought was a 210mb Maxtor. (or was it a 105mb Maxtor) Whatever. I bought it to replace a 40mb Seagate which came with my very first PC.

I don't know why I have always had an aversion to Seagate drives.

If somebody will ask me to build a PC, I'll install a Seagate drive.

If ever I build another PC for myself, I'll buy a Samsung drive.

Handruin

Administrator
Last I remember reading Tannin was pissed at people for not believing global warming and that we hate the earth by destroying it. I can only assume he became mad and hasn't posted because of this. Usually he tells us when he goes on expeditions so I have nothing else to go on.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
After Seagate buys Western Digital, Hitachi and Samsung, who will be left to stave off the monopoly?

Seagate would only buy Western Digital to put them out of business. As noted, they already have a crappy, low-end brand.

Hitachi and Samsung are conglomerates. The best that you can hope for is that they leave the business.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Seagate would only buy Western Digital to put them out of business. As noted, they already have a crappy, low-end brand.

My Atlas 15K II was not so crappy, just a little noisy.