Secure Digital Memory

Will Rickards WT

Learning Storage Performance
Website
www.willrickards.net
Okay I've got 4 models to choose from.
I want to get a 256MB card and have it be high speed.

Choices:

Lexar 32X : SD256-32-231 $75 @ newegg
Panasonic : RP-SDH256U1A $79
SimpleTech ProX : STI-PROXSD/256 $85 @ newegg

Not on my list but for comparison
Sandisk UltraII : SDSDH-256-901 $79 @ newegg
reliability problems have been reported with these in other forums

Now the lexar is rated at 32X where X is 150KB/sec so it is 4.8MB/sec
The rest are supposedly 9-10MB/sec.
A froogle search for the panasonic didn't turn up any links from my usual list of online retailers. Anybody know a reliable place that sells the panasonic? Most had the 512MB card but not the 256MB card.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
What are using the memory for? PS cameras certainly don't need anything near the high write speeds. I would be inclined to go with the Lexar, unless it is necessary to transfer the card in less than one minute. Even so, you may find that your reader cannot reach 10 MB/sec.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
I've played with a few different ones, Will, and I can't see any difference in write seeds. What it comes down to is that, at least with my cameras (Nikon CP4500s) the write speed of the camera itself is the problem. YMMV of course. Good luck!

Onomatopoeic

Will Rickards WT said:
Not on my list but for comparison
Sandisk UltraII: $79
reliability problems have been reported with these in other forums

In my "old" Olympus Camedia CL-2500, I use both a 128 MB SmartMedia and a 1.0 GB Sandisk Ultra II CompactFlash. The 1.0 GB Sandisk Ultra II CompactFlash has worked flawlessly.

With 1.128 GB, I can take thousands of photos without reloading anything -- except batteries (I can also use an external power supply, if and when needed). Then, I use my Firewire-connected Addonics media reader to download the 1.128 GB in a very speedy fashion (compared to any USB reader).

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
I've been using a SanDisk 256MB SD card (SDSDB-256-768) for about 7 months now and it too has always worked flawlessly in my Casio EX-Z3 digicam and HP PSC2210 printer and as well, the local photolab's Agfa card reader.

LunarMist

Onomatopoeic said:
In my "old" Olympus Camedia CL-2500, I use both a 128 MB SmartMedia and a 1.0 GB Sandisk Ultra II CompactFlash. The 1.0 GB Sandisk Ultra II CompactFlash has worked flawlessly.

With 1.128 GB, I can take thousands of photos without reloading anything -- except batteries (I can also use an external power supply, if and when needed). Then, I use my Firewire-connected Addonics media reader to download the 1.128 GB in a very speedy fashion (compared to any USB reader).

Gary,

I have used several USB 2.0 and Firewire readers. Performance was about the same - probably limited by the CF card. Can you post some Atto results for comparison?

Consider yourself lucky. I only get about 90 files on a 1GB card.

Onomatopoeic

What Sandisk makes THAT SUCKS... is their f&%@ng "8-in-1" USB reader.

SDDR-88---dock_with-ca_th.jpg

I think I've complained about it before around here, but the damned thing will NOT read every brand of flash memory. It looks aesthetically great, but that's about all.

Onomatopoeic

LunarMist said:
I have used several USB 2.0 and Firewire readers. Performance was about the same - probably limited by the CF card. Can you post some Atto results for comparison?
I've used several USB2 and Firewire readers, and the Addonics Firewire Digi-Drive kicks all the other's arses (Firewire or USB2) in the speed department. Mainly for notebook use, it has a USB plug-in to draw extra current (if you realy need it)...
ilink_power_solution.gif

If you are downloading "large" amounts of data in one sitting, 400Mb/s Firewire readers are definitely faster than 480 Mb/s USB2 readers. USB, in general, is too hardware interrupt happy. Firewire works with larger blocks, so the interrupt saturation is not nearly as bad.

On the other hand, a USB reader is less expensive, and certainly a lot handier than a Firewire reader since everything fairly modern will have a USB port and you don't have to worry so much about connectivity problems.

My only recommendation on USB2 readers is the very inexpensive and HANDY *little* PNY Technologies "USB 2.0" reader. It's small -- about the size of a PCMCIA card -- yet it can read 5 different types of memory. The stubby USB cable pushes inside the unit. It works fine for desktop applications, but it's a winner for ultra-portability for notebook computing.

multiSlot.jpg

Consider yourself lucky. I only get about 90 files on a 1GB card.
Well, if I enable TIFF (verbatim 24-bit TIFF) file output, then the Oly will get far fewer images onto CF or SM media than if I enable compressed JPEG or no-loss JPEG file output. The Oly's compressed JPEG is fine for normally-illuminated, normally-exposed, daylight photography. But, if I need to do nighttime work, then I go TIFF. The camera has a large buffer, so, shooting TIFF is not a problem as I can fire off 2 or 3 "TIFF images" as it writes off the large files in the background.

EdwardK

Onomatopoeic said:
Speaking of Kodak, the DCS 14n is a piece of overpriced junk. Period.

Have you tried the Canon EOS-1Ds? I am interested in your opinion of this camera. I heard that its 11 Megapixel sensor makes this Canon having the same field of view as a 35mm film camera.

Cheers,
Edward

LunarMist

I think Gary is a Nikon guy. I shot Nikon for over 25 years, so I know a little about that system, too. :wink:

The 1Ds is full frame as well, but in a totally different class. It is built on the rugged, high-performance 1v body. The Kodak is a hybrid built from some of the cheaper Nikon bodies. I have read many bad things about the DCS 14n and would not disagree with Gary. It seems that Kodak chose a poor design for the sensor (no microlenses and also no anti-aliasing filter IIRC) and have tried desperately to process the image into submission by upgrading the firmware.

If you want my opinion of the 1Ds as an owner of two, it is very good body and well worth the >$7K sticker. The 1Ds does have some serious limitations, primarily the 3FPS shooting speed, increased noise at high ISOs, and limited (think E-6) dynamic range. If you need to do PJ work, get something like the 1D or the upcoming replacement, or get the Nikon D2H.

Will Rickards WT

Website
www.willrickards.net
Well I purchased the Lexar 256MB SD that was on sale this week at office max. $69.99 - $20MIR = $49.99. It is backordered though and I hope it gets here within the 14days for the MIR. Sale started sunday, I went there before the end of the day and they were sold out already, online was also sold out. Looks like everybody thought this was a good deal.

Dïscfärm

EdwardK said:
I heard that its 11 Megapixel sensor makes this Canon having the same field of view as a 35mm film camera.

I believe that when you say "having the same field of view as a 35mm film camera," you're talking about the 4/3 Specification:

http://www.four-thirds.org/en/index.html

about_04.jpg

Olympus has one out now, the model E-1.

e1_homepage4.jpg

http://www.olympusamerica.com/e1/default.asp

Otherwise, yes, the high-end Canon Digital SLRs are certainly good. As for the Kodak DSC-14n, they cut too many corners to reduce its price. The sensor doesn't make the grade and there's been a number of firmware glitches.

Dïscfärm

LunarMist said:
I think Gary is a Nikon guy. I shot Nikon for over 25 years, so I know a little about that system, too. :wink:

That would be "conventional" 35mm. Yes, Nikon guy there, had an F3HP body since '83 along with loads of acessories for it and lenses out the wazoo, as well as my trusty old Nikon F brute that I've had since '73/74-ish (F with HP finder, but meter has since died, so it's manual photography with with an external light meter these days :p ), which I use for B&W.

I'm not so crazy about *all* Nikon digital still camera hardware, though.

Will Rickards WT

Website
www.willrickards.net
Will Rickards WT said:
Well I purchased the Lexar 256MB SD that was on sale this week at office max. $69.99 - $20MIR = $49.99. It is backordered though and I hope it gets here within the 14days for the MIR.

Wouldn't you know, just after I got the card and start using it, a static shock to the camera takes out the shutter release button and zoom controls making the camera useless. Goodbye Kodak CX6230 :(
It is in process of being returned to buy.com

Hello Canon A60 :)
I found a deal on Lexar 12X 512MB compact flash for the Canon too :) :)

welchtc

What is this storage?
*True* full sensor sizes & SANDISK ULTRAII 1GB discontin

Dïscfärm said:
EdwardK said:
I heard that its 11 Megapixel sensor makes this Canon having the same field of view as a 35mm film camera.

I believe that when you say "having the same field of view as a 35mm film camera," you're talking about the 4/3 Specification:

http://www.four-thirds.org/en/index.html

about_04.jpg

Olympus has one out now, the model E-1.

e1_homepage4.jpg

http://www.olympusamerica.com/e1/default.asp

Otherwise, yes, the high-end Canon Digital SLRs are certainly good. As for the Kodak DSC-14n, they cut too many corners to reduce its price. The sensor doesn't make the grade and there's been a number of firmware glitches.

Actually, I think you're a bit confused, maybe becausae of the way they call it a "full-frame capture CCD" (which I believe refers to the way data is pulled off the CCD rather than its size...) Rather than having people here being confused and not getting the "full picture" (heh-heh!) as well as wanting to give credit where credeit is due... see:

sensorsizes.gif

or

relative-size.jpg

Where the green is the 4/3, the red is the D100/S2, and the yellow is "Full Frame" which refers to 100% the size of a 35mm piece of film.

You'll note that the 4/3 sensor is smaller than that already being used in the D100, the Fuji S2, etc, and in the reviews, the E1 hasn't done too well being compared to its peers. As always, one should check professional, 3rd party sites when making evaluations. (Here are two, but there are plenty others)

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse1/

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/olympus-e1.shtml

Anyway, enough Off Topic stuff. What I really wanted to ask was if anyone knew why Sandisk discontinued their 1GB Compact flash card, the UltraII version (9-10 MB/sec)? Someone in here mentioned something about reliability problems and someone else said they had one and it worked flawlessly. I wanted to get one, but now they're nowhere to be found...

-Troye Welch
welchtc@lessspam.hotmail.com
(remove lessspam to reply e-mail, or post here)