Sempron 2800 on GA-K8VM800M

time

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm guessing many people here already know this, but Cool'n'Quiet is disabled on Palermo Semprons below 1.8GHz, ie. 2800+ and 2600+. I found this out by accident when the supplier ran out of 3100+. :(

There's no warning on AMD's website, leading to general confusion. Here's confirmation on the Silent PC Review forum.

With a Sempron 2800 installed, the Gigabyte motherboard doesn't have a Cool'n'Quiet option in the BIOS - I don't know if it normally does or not.

The motherboard is also missing fan speed throttling. :(

I guess you get what you pay for, which in this case is not much.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
We sell a lot of ASRock boards with the same chipset has the Gigabyte you mention. I'll see Tuesday if I can find the C&Q setting in the BIOS with a Sempron 2800+, but I'm almost certain that it is there. Even if 2800+ and below Sempron run relatively cool, it is a major omition to have removed the C&Q setting even for those low-end processors. I'm all in favor of shaving another 15W-20W when the system is at iddle.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
I thought you were being a smartass, CityK, but you're right! The data sheet has a Sempron power table that includes "Min P-state". It reports 1000MHz, 1.1V and 20/19W for 3100+/3000+, but "N/A" for 2800+/2600+.

As far as I'm concerned, we've been ripped off. I sold this as a lower power alternative to an Athlon XP. :boom:

ddrueding

Fixture
time said:
As far as I'm concerned, we've been ripped off. I sold this as a lower power alternative to an Athlon XP. :boom:

IIRC, it is still lower power, just not by as much. And I think "successor" is more apropriate than "alternative".