Sending Youtube video to DVD

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
A customer asked me yesterday how to do something apparently quite easy. He's a musician and he wants to copy videos from Youtube on a DVD that he'll play on his home theatre setup while he practices. So far, it doesn't seem very complicated. I tried doing this by using Youtube Downloader and Orbit downloader to download the clips from Youtube and then convert them to an AVI. VLC Player plays the resulting file without problem. Nero 7, which came in bundle with the DVD burner, doesn't want to convert an AVI file to a DVD video. It wants a .VOB.

So I briefly tried to J.F.G.I. and found some softwares (none free) that claim to do this. Both WinAVItoDVD and TMPENwhatever refuse to read the AVI file made with Youtube Downloader. I could continue to J.F.G.I., but since I'm well beyond starting to lose my temper over this and that I wouldn't deprive this forum from a precious how-to guide to do just this, I'll stop my quest here and ask the community for help.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I'll have to verify if it's installed or not. I don't remember if it comes with the OEM version of Nero 7. I'm short of DVD burners (and their bundled CD) in my inventory since last Thursday.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Youtube's sound is mono-only, which is a bit of a rip-off.
When I need to snag a youtube video, I grab it using the downloader at vixy.net, which will also convert it to a useful format at the same time. Once it's in a useful format, it's trivial to stick it on a DVD.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
It's not perfect. That site tends to be overloaded at times. Fortunately there are five or six other places on the web that do the same thing.

The people I work for really like embedding Youtube clips in Powerpoint. It's a new toy to them. There's another way to do it but you have to install an add-on which they don't like for some reason.