Separate Apps Partition - Worthwhile?

Piyono

Storage is cool
Hey folks.

I heard some talk recently about creating a partition for installed software and leaving the system partition for Windows. Wondering if there's any point in this practice. Seems futile to me but perhaps I'm just ignorant. It's happened before.

Anyone?

]-[

The JoJo

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.thejojo.com
As the software usually (unfortunately) almost requires stuff in the registry, I don't see much of a point to put them on a separate partition. Unless speed is that importat, and the other partition is another drive..

I see more point in having swap, temporary internet files, photoshop cache/temp etc on other drivers and in such a way utilize many partitions=drives.

If windows is bye,bye, and a repair doesn't help, then you still need to install the apps again even if they are on another partition.

File system corruption? Nah.....

Nico to have A-Z partitions? :wink:

e_dawg

Storage Freak
Separate partitions are not good... they force the heads to seek a possibly large minimum distance from one partition to the other. In comparison, an integrated OS/Apps partition can have the OS and Apps files practically next to each other so as to minimize seek distance of the heads.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Seperating data from everything else == good.

Forcing applications to go where you want them and not where they want to go == Bad. It just isn't worth the hassle and in the end, you never win. I've given up the fight and almost always use default locations: It just saves time and brain cells.

iGary

Learning Storage Performance
I personally hate to be "walled in" by partitions on a single physical disc for any reason. However, there are a *few* (very few) good reasons to have certain particular applications use a dedicated partition for their temp files.

There are also some schools of thought about using dedicated partitions for O/S temp files and virtual memory.

The ultimate, though, is to use a dedicated physical disc for such, and if you can afford it, a physical disc attached to its own dedicated channel.

zx

If your app partition in on a second disk it leads to a more responsive system.

Otherwise, a second partition on the same disk would slow things down.

GMac

sechs said:
That would be a separate apps disk....

Which is what I do :) One drive for OS, one for apps and a third (big one) for gaming & data storage. Works very nicely, and makes imaging the OS drive (17GB) nice 'n easy.

GM

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
17GB? Uh-oh ..... I can only think of one 17GB drive, Gmac, and that's the utterly unlovely Seagate U-Series clunker. As U-Series drives go, that model was pretty reliable, but saying "reliable" in the context of "U-Series hard drives" is like saying "sharp" in the context of "eggs".

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Ahem .... To surprize many and shock not a few by posting on-topic:

P5-133XL said:
Seperating data from everything else == good. Forcing applications to go where you want them and not where they want to go == Bad. It just isn't worth the hassle and in the end, you never win.

Just so, humour-challenged one. It's bloody near impossible these days. Sometimes I envy the relics of history (such az Tannin) who actually got to work with an OS that did what you told it to, rather than the other way about - you doing what it says you have to.

Bring back DOS!

GMac

Tea said:
17GB? Uh-oh ..... I can only think of one 17GB drive, Gmac, and that's the utterly unlovely Seagate U-Series clunker. As U-Series drives go, that model was pretty reliable, but saying "reliable" in the context of "U-Series hard drives" is like saying "sharp" in the context of "eggs".

Oops - my typing's at fault there :oops: My OS drive is actually an 18.2GB Fujitsu MAJ3182MP U160 SCSI drive (17.1GB formatted) which has served me well for quite some time. I wouldn't let anything as nasty as a Seagate U series drive anywhere near my home system......:mrgrn:

GM

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Phew!

You had me worried there!

No matter. Any excuse for a rant is a good excuse for a rant. Thankyou for helping me get out of jail, by the way. I've not used a "z" since.

Well .... Maybe one.