update Server migration tomorrow?

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
Just to cause a pandemic fear in everyone :p

Just to keep you guys up to date, I'm planning for the end of this month to make our transition to the new server.

Least everyone who did not see that post in ^^^

the:

Why is the site always slow?

thread

So, site might be unavailable for days even, should some problem occur in the transition.

Handruin

Administrator
Scratch that, probably Sunday May 3rd...my weekend is getting consumed.

Handruin

Administrator
No, I just forgot about plans and didn't think it was right to edit the original post.

Handruin

Administrator
I don't have the skills to do that my friend! I'll be busy enough making sure all our stuff works ok. :)

Worst case if things go horrible, I'll move us back to the old server.

Handruin

Administrator
I might need caffeine, moral support, and maybe a hug. I'll back everything up before moving. This original server isn't going away right away anyway, so we have a fall-back option.

LOST6200

Storage is cool
T-2 hours, or sitit already done in your zoneos/? I hoep we can survuicve migratation.

Handruin

Administrator
I'm going to start in the morning when I wake up. It's 1:20AM right now and I'm about to sleep.

LOST6200

Storage is cool
Get teh goodsleeep. :zzz:
I cant syurvevie anopther Davin-like Master buckl fucjup. :(

Handruin

Administrator
Just realize that the old server isn't going away just yet, so if the move fails, we move back to this current server. I have it until the end of May. I'll be turning off the forum to preserve posts and then making a backup which will be restored on the new server. Once I see it is working, the DNS gets updated and I'll post the IP so people can get to it. If it doesn't work, then we haven't lost anything, I just try again.

I also have fully managed support on the new site, so I'll get their help if needed. So far they've been very helpful with all my questions so far. We'll be moving to a fully managed VPS server. It's still shared, but they do not over-sell their servers like our current host. VPS is also a lot different than what we have now, so we'll get guaranteed resources with burstable RAM and CPU.

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
It's 3:30AM your time Handy, go to bed!

You're no good if you stay up all night and then fry yourself on coffee/caffeine in the morning.

(assume you'll post the IP in this thread, after locking the forums?)

...u-da-man :p

Handruin

Administrator
I'm going now. I got sucked into trying out one of those online money management tools and it was kinda neat. I'll be up and working on this soon enough, don't worry. :) I don't actually have any caffeine in the house and it's not by choice. Maybe I'll go get a donut in the morning to get me going.

When the boards are offline I don't think you can view threads. There is a little status window with the progress that I'll post the IP address into it. If you just browse to anywhere in the forums, you'll see the status window, so there is no special URL to worry about to get the updated IP address. In fact I think the IP is already posted in a different thread around here somewhere.