Server racks for home use

Handruin

Administrator
Do any of you guys use or have a server rack enclosure at your home? I'd like to take the 3 to 4 mid tower chassis systems (the size of an Antec P183) and place them all inside a rack in one location next to my desk. Some of the options I've researched so far seem very expensive for a large piece of metal. I don't need anything super fancy, but thought that a rack with a simple door might be nice to cut down on some noise and consolidate some systems. They don't need to be on rails, but a simple shelf would suffice. Any recommendations?

ddrueding

Fixture
All racks are very expensive. You might find one discounted at the local Frys/Microcenter.

If it is that few boxes, just get rackmount chassis for them and stack them on the floor. Or you can build a coffin.

Handruin

Administrator
Maybe I'll just make my own type of rack environment out of wood or plastic. I could probably get away with a shelving unit from home depot or some hardware store. It wouldn't be enclosed, but at least I could put all the systems together.

I think you did a nice job with your coffin, but that design doesn't work for what I want to do. I want to keep my systems in regular computer cases and organize them in a rack of some type. I occasionally take my computer to a LAN party, so a coffin design like yours would certainly cause me some troubles in transporting it. :)

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I think Mercutio has a half-height rack somewhere in his apartment. As to where to find them, eBay is the answer.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I seem to remember reading that the rack systems musicians use is identical to computer racks. But at a much lower price.
Might be worth a look.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I paid $900 for an APC Netshelter, but it was fairly decked out with extras. I got another with a broken hinge on the door for $125 (including the freight shipping) from Ebay. It took my a while but eventually I fixed that myself.

I put them in my living room and use them as coffee tables.

Handruin

Administrator
Thanks for the ideas and options. You're right Bozo, that rack on eBay does look like it could have Borg Cube potential! :) I'll also take a look into the music area for different rack systems.