Small but Full-fat VMWare install.

ddrueding

Fixture
Ouch. I'm fairly certain that my previous problems were related to a bad HDD (newish Intel SSD), though I suppose it could have been controller related (haven't done the testing yet).

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I know the source drives are good. The destination drives might have have 300 power-on hours at this point.

I suppose I'll be grabbing disk counters in the near future. I'll be damned if I can think where else there could be an issue.

ddrueding

Fixture
Interesting. I just had the new drive (Corsair Force GT 480GB) on the new machine (Intel DX58SO2) disconnect from ESXi in mid flight, only corrected after shutting down all the VMs on the box (installed on some Intel 510 SSDs) and rebooting the whole thing. Same VM I was having issues with before. Coincidence?

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Am I using the wrong product? ESXi 5.

I want to virtualise a Linux app that needs a dedicated NIC, and I can't find a way to dedicate a nic to the VM.

Likewise, when I try to virtualise Freenas, I cant find a way to add the separate disk.

ESXi/VMs are running on an IDE disk, the freenas disk is SATA. Board is Asrock 880GM, CPU X4 635. NICS are a mixture of Realtek and Intel.

Should I be using just the player?

Handruin

Administrator
Am I using the wrong product? ESXi 5.

I want to virtualise a Linux app that needs a dedicated NIC, and I can't find a way to dedicate a nic to the VM.

Likewise, when I try to virtualise Freenas, I cant find a way to add the separate disk.

ESXi/VMs are running on an IDE disk, the freenas disk is SATA. Board is Asrock 880GM, CPU X4 635. NICS are a mixture of Realtek and Intel.

Should I be using just the player?

I don't think it's the wrong product, but let me ask a few questions. For the dedicated NIC, is it possible to add a second virtualized NIC to the VM that is running Linux? Then on the physical side of the ESXi box, plug that NIC into whatever network you need it on. Within ESXi, you can create a new network switch and port group for that physical NIC on the specific network. Then back on your VM, you can assign which port group the second virtual NIC will use. Last, inside your Linux machine, you will see a new network device (maybe eth1). Set all the network information (IP address, netmask, etc). Is that what you need, or do you need your VM to actually see the NIC hardware?

For FreeNAS, you should be able to power down the appliance and then edit the settings on the VM and add new storage devices to the VM. As long as ESXi sees the physical disks and you've created your datastores, you should be able to assign that storage to your FreeNAS VM.

You could possibly use VMware player with your configuration. The difference there would be that you now have either Linux or Windows as your base OS and player will then virtualize on top of that. If your physical workstaion/server is already running an OS and you have some time to experiment, start with the VMware player before blowing away your OS and putting ESXi on the system.

Mercutio

Another weekend, another terrible experience in attempting a migration with current VMware tools. You know it's shit when you're happy about a sub-120 minute boot time.

ddrueding

Fixture
Another weekend, another terrible experience in attempting a migration with current VMware tools. You know it's shit when you're happy about a sub-120 minute boot time.

Is it just this one machine you are having problems with? All of my recent issues surround a single VM; everything else is rock solid and very quick.

Mercutio

I have an existing machine that is apparently conversion proof.
I've tried using the current VMware converter and tried converting from a VHD and from a TrueImage backup.

I guess my fallback is to try the old standby P2V converter that I've used in the past but so far my results have been the same every time.

If I load other VMs on that host, they're fine.

ddrueding

Fixture
My next effort will be to boot into the toublemaker using an Acronis disk and image the sucker, then go into a blank VM and restore it.