Small Rant / Warning about Eset NOD32

Nitsirk

What is this storage?
Apparantly if you have one of the slightly older CD's for the NOD32 software it tells you to go to www.eset.com/register to activate it. You are then supposed to receive you username and password within 10 minutes to an hour.

Turns out www.eset.com/register is no good anymore and you must go to www.eset.com/activate to register the software to get your username and password.

The problem I have with this is that I registered just like the little card in the CD said at the /register address. I registered on a Friday. On Monday I still had no email with the username password info. On Monday afternoon I got on their website and opened up a Case via their website from. As of yesterday no one responded so I emailed them with my case number and complained how I still have heard from no one except the auto reply that I had a case. Today I found the non 1-800 number for their tech support and found out that the first website address no longer works and that I need to use the new one.

Why did the old address not just redirect to the new one?
Why was there no warning at the old address?
Why did it take 1 web form, 1 email and one phone call for something so simple?

After I got off the phone with tech support today and re-registered at the new address the username and password showed up within about 3 minutes.

So the moral of my story...... for those of you who might come accross this, make sure to use the new address or you will wait forever.

ddrueding

Fixture
I've bought hundreds of licenses for NOD32, but I've never even seen a CD...I didn't even know it was available anywhere but their website.

ddrueding

Fixture
...but that is more than their web store. Why bother?

Did you happen to notice the combo Newegg is currently offering with NOD32? Vista Business Edition!

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Sometimes folks get pissy about software licenses for one-off purchases if there isn't something physical to go along with it. Whenever possible I try to provide a nice, legal-looking installation disk, even if the disk never gets used for anything.

Oddly enough, no one ever asks about Windows or Office. It's always stupid crap that people worry about. I had a client bitch at me because their disk image included "illegal copies" of Picasa not too long ago.

Nitsirk

What is this storage?
Why'd you buy it from newegg? Was there a discount or something?
I always buy it direct from eset.

Having everything show up at one time in one box is worth the 99 cents.

The point is that if they use that address in the CD instructions, it should work. If it does not work, the website should tell you or you should receive an email.

I just figured I'd post in case someone else ran into this issue. Apparanly I am alone on the CD use.

ddrueding

Fixture
Nope Nit, you did the right thing in providing a work-around to a possibly annoying and undocumented issue; we're just giving you a hard time ;)

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Don't give Nits a hard time.

She is awesome and also the only reason Pub doesn't smell like a locker room all the time. :)

CougTek

Serial computer killer
The same bad experience happened to me with one customer. I always went there after Eset's limited business hours and I never figured out the /activate instead of the /registered. This customer has another antivirus program now. Despite the fact that they have the best antivirus software, they lost a sale because of their poor license management.

Bartender

Storage is cool
Website
www.mittelsmann.net
I know Tea doesn't always wash, but she sure doesn't make the Pub smell like a locker room. Every morning DB cleans the place up, sanitizing every nook and cranny that he has . . . uh . . . un-sanitized. Anyway, I think it is a testament to our fresh smelling Pub that we've had a lady frequent our establishment. Nice to have you Kristin, you are always welcome. Drinks on the house!

Coug, please don't suffer the same demise as Leonidas.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Oh. Well, then make it a Green Tea.

Nits, thanks for the tip about NOD32, but my customers have not yet had a problem with the non-CD type installation. Usually I'm there, with their credit card, and create an account with Eset for them.

ddrueding

Fixture
Nits, thanks for the tip about NOD32, but my customers have not yet had a problem with the non-CD type installation. Usually I'm there, with their credit card, and create an account with Eset for them.

Ditto.

As it is, I'm about to deal with the Silicon Valley traffic again, so make mine a double ;)

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
If there were no consequences I would probably have a few lunch beers today. You know, to take the edge off.