Socket 370 : most unreliable ever.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I have a bunch of old socket-370 processors watching dust covers them. Why? Because all the used motherboards using s370 I cross are dead. Blown capacitors and capout BIOS on each and everyone of those.

I often see perfectly working socket 7, socket A, Slot 1, Slot A motherboards. But s370, nope. All of them are good for the recycle bin. And because of that, I have several good CPUs I could use to assemble used systems that only occupy space on my tablets.

Am I the only one with a s370-processors collection?

ddrueding

Fixture
I had major Slot 1 issues a few years ago. The motherboards were failing left and right. Rumor was that the board couldn't support the weight; but based on current heatsink dimensions, I can't really believe that.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
I'd have to agree with Coug. I've got three S370 chips and no boards for them to go in. I have two other S370 chips in Slot One boards via Slotket, so my Slot One boards are still going strong.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I have more Socket 463s than anything else, but that's because I almost exclusively dealt with AMD chips for seven years or so.

Piyono

Storage is cool
Let's not forget that Socket370's prime time was in the era of the capacitor fiasco, so capacitor problems are not uncommon on those boards.

Piyono

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Yeah, but socket-370 seems to have been more affected. I sometimes see working socket-A boards of that period, but working s-370 is rarer than Pope's shit.

I assembled a PII 266MHz on a 440LX board today (I REALLY had nothing to do). I wish I could also have found a nest for its younger siblings.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
What about using a slocket adapter on some of those slot 1 boards? I seem to remember really liking the 440BX chipset.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
What about using a slocket adapter on some of those slot 1 boards? I seem to remember really liking the 440BX chipset.
That's what I've been doing today. Unfortunately, the motherboard apparently didn't support the core stepping of the PIII and PIII-derived Celery I tried on it. I'll do more experimentations tomorrow. It must be something that can be fixed with a BIOS update.