Soldering problem

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I use 25 watt soldering 'iron'. Plug it into an electrical outlet, wait for it to get hot, then use. What I would like to know is how do you keep tip clean? If I leave it on for as short as 30 minutes, the tip has crud on it.
I've read that you can have the tip coated with silver solder and that will fix the problem. Thoughts?

Thanks

ddrueding

Fixture
I'm pretty sure the short answer is that they just do. My iron holder has a damp sponge built into it that I use to wipe the crud every time I pick up the iron.

Stereodude

Not really a
I use 25 watt soldering 'iron'. Plug it into an electrical outlet, wait for it to get hot, then use. What I would like to know is how do you keep tip clean? If I leave it on for as short as 30 minutes, the tip has crud on it.
I've read that you can have the tip coated with silver solder and that will fix the problem. Thoughts?

Thanks
Wet sponge or a metal brillo pad thingy. You wipe the tip off and re-tin the iron right before using it.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Yep. I always used sponges back in the day. I started with an iron in the Johnson years. It seems crazy now that my parents let me solder at such a young age. :)

ddrueding

Fixture
I was pretty good in my teens; EE/prototyping was my summer job during high school. I could even hand-solder larger SMDs. Now my hands shake enough that I'm lucky to reliably do 2mm pads with a cheater holding everything still.

LunarMist

When I was 7-8 years old we had discrete components and building a radio with some germanium transistors was about it.

LunarMist

I'm just testing my memory and I haven't googled it, but was Johnson the cowboy that replaced Kennedy when he got shot?

I suppose one could say that due to the hat, though several presidents have worn similar hats.
I'm pretty sure the assassination was on the news up north back then, too. ;)

ddrueding

Fixture
I've never had coffee, and the problem isn't bad enough to let anyone poke at my brain. I could blame it on the concussions (5) or electric shocks (countless) or chemical abuses in my youth, but I'll just go with being old.

LunarMist

I've never had coffee, and the problem isn't bad enough to let anyone poke at my brain. I could blame it on the concussions (5) or electric shocks (countless) or chemical abuses in my youth, but I'll just go with being old.

Maybe it is the electroshock therapy, concussions or chemicals. :( 34 is nothing. I was rock-stable at that age and am still stable now.

fb

Storage is cool
What I meant was that I have experienced similar symptoms with shaking hands (+irregular heartbeats and migraine) when I was in a couple of tight projects. But it got better when they were over.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I've been knocked out a few times and I've had a few good sized electrical shocks. I've even had diagnosed neurological problems. But my hands don't shake at all. Maybe your wife knows somebody to check with on that matter, dd?

ddrueding

Fixture
Could very well be stress, but I'm still not worried about it (is that ironic?). Shaking hands, migraine, chest pains, etc. The missus worries about it from time to time, but it has been the norm for over a decade at this point, so I'm considering the situation stable?

LunarMist

When was the last time you had a full physical and blood tests?

LunarMist

I've been knocked out a few times and I've had a few good sized electrical shocks. I've even had diagnosed neurological problems. But my hands don't shake at all. Maybe your wife knows somebody to check with on that matter, dd?

I understand that some of the other members are high risk takers, but how did you get knocked out?

CougTek

Serial computer killer
Rationally, especially now that you have a kid, I'd tell you to follow Mooner's advice. But since I haven't been to a physician since 2003 myself, I can only tell you to do what I say, not what I do.

Striker

Learning Storage Performance
You should do it, if only for your wife's piece of mind, if not your own.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
8 years? I was going to go again at 10.
My last one was in 1980. I've seen some lifespan tests where regularly seeing a doctor actually adds negative numbers to your life. Given how many people die from routine screenings or the long-term effects of prescription drugs this probably isn't far from the truth. Back when modern medicine didn't exist people who didn't die of famine, war, or disease generally made it into at least their late 60s or early 70s. I'll grant that modern medicine is great at doing one thing-patching together horrific injuries which even a few years ago were fatal. That's a great reason to see a doctor-if you're severely injured. Other than that after seeing how little they did for my parents I'm not a fan of them. The idiot doctor who examined me when I started college told me I probably wouldn't live long enough to graduate. Well, I'm still here no thanks to him or any other doctor. Ever since, I trust doctors about as far as I can throw them.

You might look into diet as the cause of your symptoms. Back in 2006 for a few months I was getting swelling in the feet and had gotten to the point I was walking like a 90 year old. I read up on a few things and hit upon a B12 deficiency as a possibly cause. It was. The symptoms cleared up after about a week of taking B12 supplements. No idea how I ended up B12 deficient but probably my diet was at fault. Now I occasionally take B12 and try to make sure I eat enough meat. The symptoms haven't recurred since.