Something new for me

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
If my memory is correct, this is the first time I have posted from a Linux install. Matter of fact, I don't ever remember being able to connect to the 'net with any Linux distribution.
Ubuntu 7.04 x64

Bozo :joker:

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
U/Ku/Xubuntu is my favorite Linux distribution. Easy to install, easy to upgrade with aptget, nice layout, overall quite good. Still not mature enough IMO to let average users mess with it, but close.

My major gripe with it (and most other Linux distribution) is that updating applications often breaks them. It is common to update via aptget and then end up getting error messages or crashing applications that used to work prior to the updates. Linux distributions are good out of the box, but updates screw them more often than not.

ddrueding

Fixture
U/Ku/Xubuntu is my favorite Linux distribution. Easy to install, easy to upgrade with aptget, nice layout, overall quite good. Still not mature enough IMO to let average users mess with it, but close.

My major gripe with it (and most other Linux distribution) is that updating applications often breaks them. It is common to update via aptget and then end up getting error messages or crashing applications that used to work prior to the updates. Linux distributions are good out of the box, but updates screw them more often than not.

Agreed. I am no Linux guru, but I thought it wouldn't be too difficult to pull the software off and just put on Firefox and Open Office. Boy was I wrong. So many packages and sub-packages, and so many dependencies.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
My Ubuntu install is pretty basic but I've never had a problem with updates breaking other packages and I'm running Feisty. If you stay with the LTS release Dapper you get a stable system and the updates are backported. Unless you just want the newest (ie, almost stable) features sooner you could stay there.

I've installed all kinds of programs through Aptitude, .deb files and manually. I've not had any problems rolling back changes. I always go through Synaptic.
How are you guys doing it?

BTW, Automatix is a fantastic 3rd party addition.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I don't have ?buntu installed on any of my systems right now and I don't remember the names exactly. But I used to update via the system menu and I think it was system updates. I'll have to reinstall it.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Imediately after the install, Ubuntu popped up a window saying updates were available. I let it do it's thing and everything went fine. About 15 updates installed and then it ask for a reboot. Hmmm, shades of Windows.

Installing programs and utilities has always been a problem for me.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Imediately after the install, Ubuntu popped up a window saying updates were available. I let it do it's thing and everything went fine. About 15 updates installed and then it ask for a reboot. Hmmm, shades of Windows.

Installing programs and utilities has always been a problem for me.

When Fiesty first came out I was getting 15 updates a day. Now I get four or five once a week. They take about two minutes to load. The nice thing about the Ubuntu updates over window is that Ubuntu is package centric while windows is file centric. That means at update time you get the whole package which could be a new kernel, power management or Open Office. Generally the updates are small but they could be huge. You only have to download them once though.

With windows you might have to install 5 different patches because a dll is incrementally updated in each update file.

I bet half the update data you download after a fresh build of XP is redundant.

Deadwood

What is this storage?
Congrats on your mostly successful install, Bozo! I'm afraid I have no experience with F@H on linux.

The ability to easily install the latest applications is what drove me to Gentoo Linux (from RedHat & Ubuntu). However, Gentoo Linux itself is not easy to install if you do not want to be a linux admin.