Something Random

ddrueding

Fixture
I've been happy with their cables. That should have read "up to 20lbs next day for $5". The one trick with them is that their shipping cutoff is 6AM :(

Order Saturday night and you'll get it Tuesday.

Handruin

Administrator
Verizon fios is soon being on my shit list. They can never seem to connect us to the right call center and have to transfer us one or two times while we wait on hold for 20 minutes.

Friday the fiber cable fell off the pole some how. There was no weather related reason. I looked at the end and it wasn't ripped or cut, it looked like it just disconnected.

Anyway they said someone would come saturday but after waiting half a day I called and they informed me that they weren't scheduled for Saturday but rather monday.

They scheduled service with a 12.5 hour window today. I stayed home and waited around for over 8 hours. I had to go out and of course they came and left and then called. I wasn't able to answer the phone while at the dr office but called back within 5 minutes and was on hold for 20+ minutes. They can't seem to get anyone to come back out even thought they work until 9:00pm. What's more frustrating is that they saw and took the fiber cable that was on the ground. They claim they need to come into the house, but as far as I can tell the issue was the cable falling off the pole some how.

Anyway, the best they can do is send someone out after 5pm tomorrow but we asked for the first appointment due to the snow coming tomorrow afternoon. I assume they won't be able to make it tomorrow either. We did ask about their snow policy and cancelations, but that didn't seem to matter. Oh well.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Last I had a tech at home was fairpoint, called Thursday (in november) and they said they would send a tech (no timescale given, didn't ask though). When no one showed Friday I figured they wouldn't send one till next week then a tech showed up at 10am on the following Sunday, I was shocked. He said they are putting in a lot of overtime and short handed. I can't imagine that's a good job to have.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
The first guy who came to my apartment to do my business cable install had at that time never worked with any data equipment, only TV. Which might be why my cable modem was still on a residential IP block for a year and a half. I'm not sure where ISPs get these guys but they kind of scare me.

ddrueding

Fixture
Normally the Newegg "Features" section isn't so humorous.

Your phone line needs to split. The fax needs support, the phone needs support - it is too much pressure for one little cable, man! Split up the duties and let that little cat chill out. The Pro series modular cable splitter extends a single phone line cord, and adapts it so that two additional line cords can be used from the other end.

Handruin

Administrator
New Hampshire is closed this week. Maybe I go next week.

Last I was aware, they haven't closed the state of New Hampshire? Maybe MaxBurn can confirm this? It's likely snowing there and here in MA, but we're not closed. :)

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
The main facility I visit is/was closed except for emergencies. I guess you guys know better how bad it is there.

Handruin

Administrator
You can get some tax-free stuff while in NH. :)

I worked from home today, so I only went outside to shovel. Right now we're just running out of room to put snow.

ddrueding

Fixture
I really don't understand why people with a choice live somewhere it snows. Visiting the snow is one thing, but doing it every day on purpose? 69F and sunny here, BTW.

Handruin

Administrator
I envy the nice weather, but uprooting my entire life and moving away from all my family and everyone I know isn't an easy task. I don't find it worth leaving everyone just to get nice weather year round. Also, the cost of living would be significantly higher if I wanted to continue the same lifestyle. I would guess a similar house to the one I live in here on the east coast might cost $750K or higher where you live. The house I'm living in is by no means super fancy, huge, and new. It's a modest fixer-upper (which my GF has done a lot of even before I moved in).

Handruin

Administrator
My impression of housing cost in CA was much higher. The house I'm in here is ~1940s and is now a 4 BR (was 3) 2BA and maybe 1200-1300 sqft on a similar sized lot. The house is worth around $300K. I'm about 45-60 minutes from the ocean. I have no excuse to not move now. ;-)

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I work from home but it is positively evil outside, took a couple snaps off the balcony and will put them up.

As far as living here all my family saw the light and moved south, I'm the last holdout and I seriously doubt I will get my next house up here but selling something in this economy forget about it. I can easily afford what I have and am putting money away hoping in a year or two I can get out of this condo and not lose money in the selling.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Is it me or does photobucket suck lately? I tell it to put it in a specific folder when I upload then it ignores me and puts it in a default folder. Upload doesn't even work with firefox anymore, have to use IE.

Handruin

Administrator
It's yucky here also. I park my car on the street and there is so much snow, my car is behind a fort. As the snow has been accumulating, I've been digging out a spot to put my car (or my girlfriends). When I park my car, it's like putting it into a snow-made garage, it cracks me up. :) Behind the car is a wall of snow that's about 4 feet and on the side it's about 3 feet. it's not perfect, but helps to keep it off the street a bit and protect it a little bit more.

Regarding photobucket, yet, I've found it was really slow the last time I uploaded pictures. I then had to rearrange everything which was annoying.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Regarding photobucket, yet, I've found it was really slow the last time I uploaded pictures. I then had to rearrange everything which was annoying.

Precisely, also in the app for iPhone they used to have the ability to move photos between folders and I think even upload into the right folder to start with. Near as I can tell they removed both in the current app.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Crap, I just found the move in the app. Updated January 10th. I looked for the ability to do those things for a long time around Christmas so either I was drunk or they fixed the app.

Handruin

Administrator
I never even tried the app; I'm downloading it now. My experience was speaking about the web interface and uploading images. I don't use photobucket very often, so I never bothered to look for an app. I use it as a place to stick stuff I don't care much about, so I don't really store much on it.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
We got dumped on too last night. The schools are closed for the first time since 1999. I am working from home.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I don't work whenever the schools are closed, so that's nothing new. I did, however, get a 4:15AM "We had a blackout and the UPS ran out of juice and now our server isn't working"-call. So that was fun. There's about three feet of snow on my deck right now and I'm glad I don't have to shovel any of it.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
This year I think we will have snow till about June. For a minute there I thought it stopped snowing but it's just the really fine stuff now.

That is a standard backdrop picture that I didn't even ask for in photobucket. Actually it crossed my mind that I might want to turn off themes to see if the site would work any better but I never did it. Not sure if you even can.

Handruin

Administrator
The snow piles in front of the house just past the sidewalk are now at least 10' high. This snow was particularly a pain to shovel because of how far I had to toss it beyond the current piles and also because it's packed ice on top of sticky snow. Every time I throw a shovel-full, the huge ice chunk flies away but the snow sticks to the mother f'in shovel.

Handruin

Administrator
I've used silicon spray in the past and that worked. I didn't have any, but I might have some pam...